October 23, 2008

A Believable History




The conning tower of the WWII fleet submarine Pampanito in San Francisco. Photos Copyright M&G 2008.



Himself: Finally finished programming info into the computer for the top 30 cars then came home to a board meeting. They won’t listen to him, so he isn’t running again in June. Example, water usage up 100+% instead of down 10%. He hasn’t felt well for two days since the chicken. Me too.

Herself: Writing workshop, took MK to class then a lecture at the library after class. She still hurts too much to drive. Worked on short story. I cut it too much and had to bring it back up to 500 words. Made it 504. I threw the last of the chicken out. We can eat out tonight. No Ba in class this week.

Food: Green beans. PB sand. Baked potatoe, salsa, butter and sour cream. Strawberries for desert.
  • Only four of us moving around in the water aerobics class today. The instructor took the time to do some back stretching work with me after the other two got out. Then when we joyously clambered into the Jacuzzi, she again showed me some things I can do in the hot water also. Pooped and didn’t want to go, now glad I did.


  • I was digging around in my San Francisco pictures to find something new for you all. Knowing my Uncle C, a naval architect, was involved in the design of the WWII fleet submarines makes them of great interest to me. Knowing my Cousin Tom did time on a diesel boat, and remembering when he and his bride were stationed here continues my interest. So today you get a little look at Submarines and their history. I personally find them fascinating.


  • “Include a brief biographical note,” say the contests. I have no idea what one of those would be, so I whipped something out yesterday. I always hate doing those things. They are biased, of course. One of mine lists my artistic achievements, awards, shows, and who has my stuff. None of that’s applicable here. This time I dragged out all my old newspaper experience, layout and pasteup plus one lonely cooking column….for that’s what I’ve got. I don’t think it’s short enough. It’s way too clean with all the gory little bits removed. No madness, no alcoholism or drug addictions. Whack history off at the knees. Gee…perhaps not at all believable.

    “After a varied background in design, graphics, and newspaper work, I began writing, journaling, and working for the city while raising two children as a single mother. A degree in fine arts led to a successful art career. In the 80’s, I began the first of my daily blogs online. Today, thanks to the Amazing Writers Workshop and the Thursday Old Poets Group, I write fiction, non-fiction and some poetry. I now live with my husband in San Diego, California, and spend my days writing and wielding my camera.”


  • A second attempt after the good poets edited:

    "After a varied background in design, graphics, and newspaper work, I began writing, journaling, and working for the city while raising two children as a single mother. A degree in fine arts led to a successful art career, and the beginnings of my daily blogs online. Today, I write fiction, non-fiction, and poetry in the sunshine of San Diego."

    Wiped out the art, the husband, and only "just" snuck the sunshine back in. Now I go delete all the stuff the poets didn't like. It's pretty uniform...."A good start they tell me," and I react like any beginning writer.





Links

USS Pamanito

FleetSubmarine.com

Ron Martini’s Sub Link Page: Thousands of links

Haze Grey & Underway: Naval History and Photography

US submarine Sites

No comments:

Post a Comment

postcards

Celebration of Life