June 12, 2009

Twice California Rice



>

Flowers at a Sunday morning swapmeet. 2009.



Himself: Everyone at his work wants to have their severance package and be free. Even those who are “staying” know they will be let go in December. No one wants to be there. According to the news, his owner makes the 3rd top salary in the city. No news on the eternal re-fi process. I’ve given up; he hasn’t.

Herself: Very tired after an exceptionally long session of the Poetry Group at Marion B’s. Got home and started dinner at almost three. G gets home at 3:30. She says carefully, that she is that, ><, close to getting her book to the publishers.

Spots: No! Not all spot stuff works on everything. Yup, you had better stock up. "Spray and Wash Stick” is getting rare here. Finding it at Vons/Safeway gave me a feeling of triumph. No Tilex on colors tho. It has bleach in it, and I have enough trouble with dark stains not to want white spots on dark clothes. Yes, that bleach pen from Clorox did work on my new/used white shirt, but not immediately. When it didn't vanish the orange right away, I put the whole shirt on to soak. With the thickened bleach product on the stains. No stains in the morning. Progress.

Did I ever mention that I collected cookbooks?

When G asked me for of a copy of that rice recipe, I thought I might just write it out from my handwritten cookbook. On second look, the spots and the fifth grade handwriting deterred me. Detoured me too. What if my original notes were wrong. I had to find it in a cookbook.

“Oh, I’ll get it for you,” I told him thinking there wouldn’t be any problem finding the original. It was a Sunset recipe, wasn’t it? And hadn’t I just gotten a hardbound of the Sunset Cookbook? I can say, not a Sunset recipe after looking through the masses of my many Sunset cookbooks.

I went back to the source. At the very bottom of the spotted and stained page was one word. McCall’s. No date. I used to love the recipes from McCall’s….but it went the way of all Woman’s magazines that didn’t adapt to the new world. Not in the McCall’s Cookbook. I actually have that. Way down in the fast food section I found, “McCall’s No Time To Cook,” 1963. Could it be there in my 95 cent Amvets cookbook find? It was. Our printer copied it, and I share it with you here plus a variation or two. Bon Appetit.


California Rice

Them: Serves 8.
1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick)
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups freshly cooked white rice
2 cups sour cream
1 cup cream style cottage cheese
1 large bay leaf – crumbled
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cans – 4 oz size – chopped green chilies, drained
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese ½ pound
Garnish: sliced tomatoe and chopped parsley

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Medium.
2. Saute onion in butter till golden, about five minutes.
3. Mix cottage cheese, sour cream, and bay leaf in a big bowl.
4. Add cooked onion then rice..
5. Layer in a buttered casserole half the rice mixture.
6. Scatter on chilies and cheese. Repeat.
7. Bake uncovered 25 minutes.


Lower Fat California Rice

Me: Serves 4 – or two twice. You can make it low fat, or you can just cut the recipe above in half. Either way it is good.

2 tablespoons butter or margarine or good spray of Pam
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups freshly cooked white rice
1 cup reduced fat sour cream plus a little more
1/2 cup low or no fat cottage cheese
2 cans – 4 oz size – whole Ortega green chilies, cleaned and drained
2 cups real grated sharp cheddar cheese ½ pound

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Medium.
2. Saute onion in butter or pam till golden, about five minutes.
3. Mix cottage cheese, sour cream, and bay leaf in a big bowl.
4. Add cooked onion then rice.
5. Layer in a buttered casserole half the rice mixture.
6. Layer on chilies and cheese. Repeat.
7. Bake covered 25 minutes because I don’t like crispy cheese.

This makes a great entrée too with a salad and hot buttered tortillas or scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

postcards

Celebration of Life