July 10, 2009

Too Much




Loretta and Marion B, Nati's, 2009.



Himself: Lia, from Yum Yum Café gave G some good advice that he’s now following. SoCalFrank sent valuable information also.

Herself: Managed to let all but the food go.

Reading: Nothing……..imagine that.

Balance: Physically feeling OK this morning.

Loretta, a member of the writing class and the poet’s group, was in hospice care at the end of her road. Her husband wrote, "After dreaming a life and living her dream, our dear Loretta has moved on to a new adventure in peace." She wrote with a wonderfully powerful and unique voice. Strong, vibrant, poetic even in prose, her presence here will be sorely missed.



Loretta, Gianna, Marion B.



After a long day of this and then Loretta news, when George suggested soup and salad for dinner, I demurred.

“How bout we try the Corvette Diner. It just moved over here from Hillcrest, and I’ve wanted to go for years.” There wasn’t any parking in that tight, old style neighborhood.

So we were off to Liberty Station, the old Naval Training Center and found ourselves in a sparkling, new, chrome and Formica diner. Nothing at all like Hodad’s, the local eatery downtown OD that was featured on the Food Channel’s Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. And too, there’s a coffee shop just across the street with really good hamburgers also. Both diners are full and have lines out the door later in the day. All three serve killer hamburgers.

We faced an endless menu with all those old comfort foods you loved then and know are bad for you now. An endless stream of kids too……screaming and birthdaying and having fun. Movie clips on the wall, and giant servings at reasonable prices too.

I carefully ordered a cheeseburger no fries. You would have been proud of me. G had his with onion rings……we both planned on desert later. Mine came with fries…….and I did not eat them. Amazing. I felt quite comfortable…..until desert.

After the hot fudge Sunday, I confess we left the restaurant moaning. By the time we got home, we were audibly groaning…..which we kept up even after getting in bed.

I hope we learned something from this day, don’t you?

2 comments:

  1. Loretta has such a lovely smile. I am sure she will be missed.
    I laughed with your "moaning and then groaning..." It is easy to resist fries, but who can resist hot fudge sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences. I just received news today about the death of a dear friend. I find it strange how often such experiences occur in the last while. Such news used to come unannounced and was only tragic. Now, it really depends on many factors. I hope your Loretta and my Bernd are at peace.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life