September 13, 2009

A Quiet Day




A quilt at the swapmeet, 2009.




  • My imagination seems quieted. That ability to make something from nothing is hiding around the corner and I can't quite seem to reach it. I'm going to take a few days off from journaling and put my energies sideways to see what happens. I'll return energized. You will see.


  • Grandkids continue to amaze G and me. Sally, in Spain, starts first grade Monday. Oh, My, Gosh. Mohave, who lives just down the hill, has started high school. Magic. One daughter in college and a granddaughter in college. More magic. Three more grandsons in college. Most of these kids adventures I follow on Facebook. You know it is a very exciting world out there and they are living it wonderfully. I only worry gobs about two who are trying drinking. I personally don't think "trying" is an option. Then again, when I was young, what did I know about the genetics of alcoholism.


  • There's a new movie out: September Issue that opened yesterday. The focus in on Anna Wintour, Vogue's editor in chief, and her packaging of the infamous September issue of the magazine. By now everyone knows that the editor in The Devil Wears Prada was based on Wintour. I want to find time to see that this week. She doesn't care a fig what I think, but I am truly interested in watching the creation of this influential magazine by this high-powered woman. It's the old curious print graphics person in me wanting to know how it was done.


  • George has been muttering that his gift to me hadn't arrived. "A day late," he said handing me a big box last night after a dinner with MB on the bay. This kind, loving man found me used copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I. Darling man. What a sweet, thoughtful man. And he didn't pay two-hundred something for it either. I started reading it last night, and I confess that I found it a fascinating read. Now it sits airing on the bedroom bookcase letting it's antique tobacco smoke fade before I continue reading it again. What a dear Geeee-zer he is.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift! Make sure you keep your eyes away from those recipes full of cream and butter...

    Lovely looking quilt at the top of the post. It is wonderful to think of all the time and effort someone put into making such a piece of art.

    Today's post is for you in answer to your recent inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great guy you have. And lovely to have so many grandchildren. I also worry about the genetics of alcoholism. My ex and his family were obviously affected. And I worry about my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I cannot believe I missed your birthday!!!! Happy Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life