January 12, 2014

Satisfaction


                                                                                                                 
Newly arrived comics at the store.

I’m not able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, nor am I more powerful than a speeding locomotive.  But today I’m able to feel a real satisfaction from taking the small actions in life.  I could say that I’m still trying to leap those buildings, but that would be a lie.  What I am doing is trying to enjoy staying in the now. 

For me, it’s too easy to be a grumph.  Perhaps it’s genetic.  Perhaps it’s part of being an alcoholic.  There I was in a chilly, windy carwash standing on my head.  That’s what it feels like to bend over and do something in that position for half an hour.  I was doing an essential job.  I was being useful.  I couldn’t breathe.  I was physically uncomfortable, and I was unhappy.  I didn’t say a word either.

When I was done spraying those grills with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, I felt real satisfaction in what I’d done. 

We went out to dinner last night, and I felt the conversation with the husband was a truly awkward thing.  I who used a glass of wine as a social lubricant, felt uncomfortable in the long silences with a person I didn’t know well.  Then again, I felt real satisfaction in going out to be social with new people. 

Obviously I need to put myself in these uncomfortable positions more often.  Stretch myself.  Poke myself in the ribs, so to speak.  Get myself out of my shell and learn to be social again. 

I feel real satisfaction  

G using a brush on thhe BBQ.


  • Keeping those on the east coast in my thoughts.
  • Himself:  Go try on suits for the black tie gala.  Watch the game.  Meeting.
  • Herself:  Have fun following himself around.  Read while thhe game is on.
  • Reading:  I didn’t read a thing yesterday as my day was slightly full.
  • Balance:  Satisfaction with a day well done.


  • 6 comments:

    1. What black-tie gala?? Do tell.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you for this reminder that difficult/unpleasant things are worth doing. We are about to face five consecutive days of 100 F+ heat. I have several social commitments (visitors) which I'd usually enjoy, but my grumpy mind woke up this morning saying "Why can't these people wait till the heat has passed?!" You've nudged me towards a new perspective.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Sometimes people just do not click...it is an odd scene and no one's, or at least not your fault.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Good for you, Mage. I remember those uncomfortable times too. I don't like to put myself in them, but yes... sometimes it's good to stretch yourself.

      Oops! Our grill needs to be cleaned too.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I'm a great believer in self discipline but there has to be a balance. We have to remember to be kind to oneself as well. I trust your judgement.
      As for grumps- I can snarl for England:)

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life