July 29, 2016

Fragments



Boom!

We in San Diego are horrified and deeply sadned by the shootings of two San Diego Police officers.



It’s not fair to give one something and nothing to the other.

I’ve arranged to take a few dollars out of the last of my Money Market account.  It will reduce my living money by 400 something in two years.  Why are we doing it?  We both feel the eldest has ground to a halt.  I understand.  I ground around a lot to get where I am now.  We care.  G is car shopping.  More repairs to her existing car will be throwing good money down the drain.



Me?  I’ve been going in to work and getting really ill.  A very strong allergy response, actually.  Monday  I barely made it out the door after taking a few pictures with my shaky legs, my faint self, and my sweaty body.  Wednesday the reaction wasn’t as bad because I stayed in the back of the store.  Today I talked to the manager about it.  Febreeze?  Something powerfully perfumy?  She stood right up and walked over to a jar of round odor maskers in a container with holes in the top.  That was it.  My perfume allergy in action.



Work Books.  At the store we rotate our books out every two months.  We change the price tag colors so we know what’s happening.  Our usual go to solution for unsold books has been Father Jo.  No More…they won’t take books.  We need to find a new solution for not only the books, which I worry about, but for our other discards.



  • Himself:  Working hard, but planning for a weekend of playing: BBQ, baseball, Gay men's Chorus' "Thriller."


  • Herself:  Pool, working with pictures, cooking, shelving books, looking forward to our neighbor returning.


  • Reading:  A cook book mystery.


  • Gratitudes:  Wearing a new top I bought 25 pounds heavier, and I still like it.


  • 14 comments:

    1. Our county library system has a large book sale once a year and I donate lots of books to that. Perhaps your unsold books could be used in such a way. Check with the library.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am glad you found the source of the allergic reaction at work. I cannot use any of those scented products either. They are like poison!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Our library refused my last offer of books. Which is fine, but a sign on the door before I hauled them would have been nice.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Our local chapter of American Association of University Women has a huge book sale every year and takes everything. Perhaps the one near you does the same thing?

      My sister and her husband have a 22 year old Volvo they bought new. It's shiny and comfy but they figured out over the last three years it cost them about $500 a month. They just retired and that was a wee bit of a shock plus some of its parts no one makes anymore. So they are car shopping too. I hope you find just what you want and need.

      Sorry to hear about your allergies. I have some of the same, wildly reactive immune system. I quit our local charity shop because similar problems and perfumed scents in everything. Some will say just take some antihistamines but it just doesn't work that way for many of us. Be well and take care of yourself.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I had a couple of episodes involving Febreze and maybe some food items as well. The difference from the way they hit me when I was younger and my reaction now is that I can't function at all, just can't keep going, when seized by these allergies.
      Seems like everyone is buying a new car now. We are resisting so far. Terry backed into a coconut tree and damaged our nice Camry, but we'll just get it fixed.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So sorry about the dent. Margot's car isn't doing at all well, and we would like her to be safe. Yes, we just get things fixed too.

        That jar of little smelly balls just knocked me out. I was sicker than I remembered being, and it was awful. I'm just grateful I remembered what the reaction was.

        Delete
    6. I am so thankful I have few allergies, because they are hard to control in this world! Glad you found the culprit. I do not wear perfumes these days, but the soaps and shampoos have fragrance and with the grands I always must smell nice. The money is a wise investment...hang in there. If your charity can come up with money books can be mailed to places overseas, even if in English if they are children's books or perhaps good fiction?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's 35 or 40 boxes and bags of books every month. The bosses are searching for another local thrift store that will take them. St Vinnies used to sell the books in box lots, but no one is bidding now. It isn't just the books, unfortunately it's everything that's damaged or we won't use in our upscale shop. There's new management at St. Vincent's, and we are affected.

        Delete
    7. You can donate them to prisons. Seriously.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sally's Army has a bookstore in North Park too.

        Delete
    8. Mage, hi! New to your blog, and I'm in south Orange County. Not far away!

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life