October 10, 2016

Domesticities



          


Slightly fuzzy me headed out with a list this morning.  A very domestic sounding list with things like CLEANING, RENEW LIBRARY CARD…those sorts of capitol, day to day items.  I’m always amazed at how far I’ve risen to feel amazed by the average. 

Perhaps after three weeks of not-okness, anything in focus would amaze me.  Then again, there I was last week rehashing my madness renewing my steps in AA.  Perhaps I carried both madness and fuzziness with me into today.  It was delightful to find that my Comic Con library card works just fine after a little home surgery to make it intact again.  Free too.  It’s magic that I can wave a credit card at the cleaners and take home clean clothes.  Magic too that I could wave a discount card at the Oil guys and get the OIL CHANGED in Grumpy at a discount.  So very middle class I laughed at myself.

I was talking with a young lady last night that spent her last year homeless in a cardboard box.  She’s really struggling to stay sober.  I had to make her laugh by telling her that I had months in a bathtub when I was homeless.  She laughed, and that was good. 

I confess that domesticity feels strange to me.  Perhaps today I feel better balanced talking to a young lady who struggles to stay sober in her cardboard shelter than I do here in a home that I own. 



                                                                    

  • Himself:  He’s working only 8 hours a day this week.  Making retirement plans too.  Found a book sale of Photography books at $5.oo bucks a bag.  That’s a lot of books.
  • Herself:  Feeling fuzzy still.  Forgetful.  Went back to the pool for the first time in weeks.
  • 52 Week House Reorganization:  Finished my closet.  Moving on to Shoes and jewelry.
  • Reading:  Still Archer Mayor, “The Price of Malice.”
  • Gratitudes:  That I’m here and smiling.


  • 4 comments:

    1. You are still here, smiling and helping someone else smile. Way to go!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have obviously missed some stuff in my absence, but it seems like you are well sorted.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm grateful you're still here too. Heart to heart connection with that girl. It's amazing how two people can come together and have that experience of really seeing each other.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm grateful that you are here for me to write to, to talk to and yes, commiserate with over our 'old age' ailments. A woman i volunteer with at the Depot commented that she needed to restrain her enthusiasm in talking to visitors. I told her that connecting with other people makes their visits more memorable, and I have to think that connecting with that young woman made her feel stronger and more confident in her efforts to remain sober. Kudos to you for reaching out to her and connecting with her.

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life