May 25, 2017

PASSAGES

       
           

Flags to be installed on each grave.

Memorial Day is, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day>Wikipedia tells us is, “originated as Decoration Day after the American Civil War in 1868, when the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union veterans founded in Decatur, Illinois, established it as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the Union war dead with flowers.[3] By the 20th century, competing Union and Confederate holiday traditions, celebrated on different days, had merged, and Memorial Day eventually extended to honor all Americans who died while in the military service.[1] It marks the start of the unofficial summer vacation season,[4]while Labor Day marks its end.

You probably knew all these details.  I’m sure I was told then forgot.  It wasn’t a holiday mother celebrated with visits to the cemetery.  Her yearly actions remind me of holidays.  Lilies on Easter…I now associate those lovely flowers with my grandma and grandpa’s death.  Mother has no grave, and the rest of my family has been buried back east.  Before mother remarried, I bet she took lilies to my father’s grave.  He was the family veteran. 

Every once in a while I now go up to Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.  It’s right up the hill, and there I can stop to see G’s mom and dad.  I visit Dale Craig too.  He was my support when I was at my very lowest point.  There’s a man that deserves a flag.



                                                          

  • Himself:  Pool, work, dinner then visit Poolie in the hospital again.  This total collapse happens every time after an infusion.
  • Herself:  Second day at work.  Poolie’s sister barb sent in a huge donation of books…I got them all priced and filled every shelf.  Glorious donation of visibly unread books.  Dinner, hospital, worry.
  • Reading:  Still deep into Schlesinger’s “Journals.”  Less work as he grows older.  Brought home new books from the store, and ordered the “Journals” from Alibris books.

  • Gratitude’s:  That it was a basel cell carcinoma on my neck not a melanoma.  They metastasize slower.  I still have to have more surgery to make sure the edges are clear and stitches to close the hole.  Maybe it will lift my 75 year old chin.  Wishing the doc caught it last year. Glad it will soon be gone.
  • 4 comments:

    1. The Scouts will be out planting flags here too. We have several family members in Willamette National Cemetery. Time passes and there are many to remember with love and gratitude for their service and their kindnesses.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hmmm, it might just end up being a "right side chin lift".

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yay for Dale Craig, Mage.

      Good luck with the neck carcinoma. Take care.

      ReplyDelete
    4. My parents never celebrated any of those holidays, although my dad was a Veteran. They were stay-at-homes like me, I guess. Glad you cancer was caught. It is not unusual as we age and I have several friends including hubby who have had to have stuff removed.

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life