October 13, 2017

OFF ROADING


1957 Cadillac Eldorado…one of only 14 made.


Suicide doors on the Eldorado.

We left the house exactly at five.  We both wanted to run a fresh loaf of bread by the Captain’s on the way to the Auto Museum’s “Off Road” show.  It took us fifty minutes to get there in rush hour traffic.  Heading back out to the museum, and staying off the freeway, we got to Balboa Park in under twenty minutes.

California is a vee-hickle state.  Most folks here in San Diego make no effort to drive off the freeways.  They make little effort to get to know the roads near the freeways or alternate routes to their destinations.  The original roads are still there running next to the freeways in many cases.  Since I am old, I know many alternative routes.

We took Friar’s Road which runs along one side of the valley where HWY 8 is.  There were few people there.  Yes, next we cut through a major mall to the far side and the circle road around 8.  Then up we went on the once chained road to the top of the valley.  Five other people followed us up the hill while I noticed that all the freeways were at a standstill.

Dinner wasn’t bad, the speeches were really short, lots of folks showed up, and a good time was had by all.  Under fifteen minutes to get home too.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  (<------this a="" blog.="" but="" d="" few="" he="" his="" i="" is="" like="" link="" nbsp="" new="" only="" pictures="" to="" visitors.="" week="" work.="" work="">
  • Herself:  Work…and I am the Friday sorter.  I hope the new boss notes that most of us back room folks will be gone this month.  G and I met on a Friday the 13th.
  • Reading:  Nothing at this moment.
  • Captain Poolie:  Glad she made the decision not to go to Cancer Camp.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I can give back.


7 comments:

  1. It does pay to be a senior on the rare occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seniors have access to knowledge youngsters just don't. Another plus to long life.
    Well you certainly aren't afraid of Friday the 13th. Lucky day for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn over time the backroads as freeways are too scary for me. Our "wonderful" governor wants to make the freeways 12 lanes now!!! Enjoyed your pics on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the freeways. I let George drive them now unless I have an easy shot somewhere. Glad you liked the photos.

      Delete
  4. The only thing better than short speeches is no speeches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing... I used to take roads over the hills out in La Mesa, all to circumvent the freeways! My sister would be riding with me and she'd be shaking her head, totally lost. I told her as long as you know the direction you're heading in, you can't get lost! I am utterly amazed at the traffic there now. I thought it was bad when we left 10 years ago, but every time we go back to visit the kids, we are astounded all over again.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life