October 15, 2017

WORK, WORK, WORK



Two days a week, a measly six hours a week, I dress in something I hope I cannot ruin and go to work.  I volunteer at the ACS Discovery Shop.  I’m sure you know this as I have told you hundreds of times. 

I love Wednesdays.  That’s the day I’m the book lady.  Joe prices the books.  He’s my third pricer.  Joan took longer, and her decisions weren’t so arbitrary.  So he sorts the books and even puts some out in the wrong places which are a constant source of hair pulling on my part.  Biographies are not fiction.  And too, I need to go through his discard boxes.  Many aren’t.

I’ve learned to relax.  It was hard.

Fridays I sort.  One thing that makes it tolerable is that I work with two other OCD volunteers both days, Bob, and Linda.  Sorting the donations used to be a fraction more fun.  Now so many things come in that I let the mess swamp me.  I need to relax on Fridays too.  Just because a homeless lady picked up damp clothes on the beach and brought them to us doesn’t mean we have to take them.  Dirty smelly clothes are NO too.  Dirty stuffed animals are a NO also no matter how cute they are.

I’ve been known to take something to the cleaners.  I’ve been caught popping an old quilt into my washing machine.  It won’t sell if it is dirty. 

Every day, I post to Facebook for the store.  Corporate wants us to post many “Making Strides for Breast Cancer” flyers, posters, front window pictures et al right now.  I’ve snuck a few other pictures in too.  I’ll be there next week, but the week after I will be hugging my other daughter.  Facebook does enable timed release posts.

That’s me, I WORK at being timed release.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  (Please stop by and see his blog.)  Lightbulbs and Legos for Poolie.  Playing games for himself.
  • Herself:  Writing here….and there…and these days it seems everywhere.  Frightened of the blood test results tomorrow.  I confess to eating Carbs this month.
  • Reading:  Moving on to the next book.
  • Captain Poolie:  Off the steroids and not eating again.  Not well for the last three days.
  • Gratitude’s:  That it’s cool and sunny right now.


6 comments:

  1. Trying to relax can really stress you out lol. I hope Poolies appetite comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great place to volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing a good thing. I didn't know about the timed posts on FB, not that it would be important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acceptance is the key...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who works in such a shop here and says it is not unusual to get just one shoe, dirty clothes or expired groceries. I wonder if those folks really think they are being helpful. Keep doing your part, you are needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, we got one nice pink sandal this week. The other never showed up, and I was dissappointed. No old groceries tho.

      Delete

postcards

Celebration of Life