November 7, 2017

MEMORY


My friend Dixie called yesterday.  She didn’t remember we had visited. 

“It was a recent memory,” George reminds me, “and not a long ago memory.”

There isn’t a thing I can do about it.  I can remember though.  Those warm afternoons in her room with the wonderful Pineapple post bed.  The gossip.  The long trips to school.  The yearnings after her brother…I have to be honest.  The hours on the phone.  Best of all, the friendship.

One thing I can do I share my visual memories, not only of Dixie, but of other friends who are and aren’t with us anymore.  I posted one of my ex-husband today.  It’s not a happy picture.  Taken the last time I saw him, he was to die that year of Pancreatic Cancer.

I posted an envelope with pictures to Dixie yesterday before she called.  I’ll wait and send her a copy of this one in a week.  It won’t do any good, but I will feel a connection.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
  • Himself:  NCIS night after work and a Poolie visit.
  • Herself:  Dispirited…but though I seem abstracted today, I’m going to get the machine out.  Further surgery on Margot’s car.
  • Reading:  Mr. and Mrs. North mystery.  Very stylized and 30ish.
  • Captain Poolie:  Very “whatever.”  How I hate that phrase.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I may be fuzzy, but I’m not “whatever.”


  • 6 comments:

    1. It's a sad thing when the memory goes...and a frightening thing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You remembering for Dixie is the best you can do. Take care, Mage.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am "whatever" many days because I have little control over so much. I could go down the lane of questions about blaming myself and also digging out all those mistakes from the trunk of stupidity...but it doesn't change anything, so why?

      ReplyDelete
    4. her phone call today was heart breaking

      ReplyDelete
    5. It's kind of sad for us when this happens, but they can still be happy.

      ReplyDelete
    6. A great photo. At least, in that moment, she was happy.

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life