January 24, 2018

A BOOK DAY


The fiction half of the book section.

Wednesdays are my book days.  The end of the month Wednesdays mean we price with a different color tag.  The old tagged books from three months ago are boxed and go to the library.  Today I box up books.  I’m also bringing in two new boxes of cookbooks.

I love working with books.  I live in a home where books line almost every wall.

“Have you read all these books,” asked a young lady yesterday.  Yes I have.

Joe prices books on Tuesdays.  Wednesdays, I load up the old metal wagons and shelve them.  The cookbooks are selling…slowly but surely.  Fiction sells best.  The Rancho Bernardo Discovery Shop offers book buyers a comfy overstuffed chair.  When I started, there was nowhere to sit.  Now I have two folding chairs, and usually I find them full of folks browsing. 

The non-fiction is another matter.  The biographies and autobiographies always sell.  I have one shelf of tiny books, they too sell.  No matter how dated, most of the travel books sell too.  Most of the non-fiction doesn’t sell.  I always end up with a mountain of self-help volumes heading to the library.  I’m thinking that they can’t sell them any better than I.

All these books are a joy for me….even the self-help.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Things have been slow, but he’s happily losing weight eating his dinner at lunch time..
  • Me, myself, and I:  Cleared my desk of a but three things.  Imagine.
  • Reading:  Box.
  • Captain Poolie:  Visited her last night and found her unwakable.  UTI and kidney infection.
  • Gratitude’s:  That we could visit Poolie.


12 comments:

  1. Looks like you have the books "covered".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy the biographies and autobiographies, but leave some for the next person. Unless they're too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great looking area, inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poolie, Poolie. This is so sad and painful, and inevitable for all of us. I would go crazy in your books store, maybe next time I visit you can take me there??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got all the really good writers in today plus one mystery I was looking for. :)

      Delete
  5. I use to be a book alcoholic. Loved the heft and feel but since I got my Kindle-I am spoiled rotten at being able to carry 300 books in one hand. I know-- I'm a traitor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My house is full of books, too, yet I cannot resist buying more. I borrow books from the library as well. I have dozens of out-of-date science textbooks that I used to study from and teach from. They are perfectly good books, with lovely illustrations, but apparently no one wants them. I suppose I will eventually have to recycle most of them. I have a small house and thousands of books, even after abandoning thousands when I moved from the USA to Canada. I guess I'm too sentimental about books and other objects. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a nice looking display. It looks like a nice second hand store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I read a Kindle now, I love looking at all the books on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life