January 17, 2018

SUCCESS AT LAST


Photo: Dairy Goodness. Google.

I’ve been trying to make a decent baked apple for eons.  Once long ago, I could cook anything with great verve and produce a pretty good dish at the end.  I prided myself on my cooking.  Not baked apples though.  I’ve never succeeded in making an edible baked apple.

I have more cookbooks than Carter has Little Liver Pills.  I’ve tried to make baked apples from all of them.  I’ve failed every time.

Short on time, I thought why couldn’t I try to bake an apple in the microwave.  I looked up a recipe in Google, and, as usual, I followed the directions to the letter.  I thought there might be way too much spice.  Nope.  I thought three and a half minutes would be too little time as our microwave is old.  I added another 30 seconds, and I have to tell you…they were a success. 

Mouth wateringly marvelous, actually.  Unbelievably simple too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baked Apples for 2: All Recipes:  Nicole M.

2 Apples
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Butter

1.     Core the apples, Peel or not, leaving the bottom intact.
2.     In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon the sugar mixture into the apples and set a teaspoon (or more to your taste) of butter on top of each apple. Place the apples in a deep casserole dish and cover.
3.     Microwave for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until tender. Let the apples sit for a couple minutes before serving.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Really doing well.  Our friend Tom S died on the 9th...we mourn his happy presence.
  • Me, myself, and I:  Finished the back of Bobbies Quilt and created cacophony.
  • Reading:  Starting the new Louise Penny.
  • Captain Poolie:  Totally drugged out.  We visited and found her asleep.  Should have left then.  Beginning Chemo through the port in her head to her brain stem.
  • Gratitude’s:  For everything today.




8 comments:

  1. The latest ones didn't quite look like this but they were sure delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to put raisins in the cavity of the cored apple, but otherwise, my "recipe" is pretty much the same as you have listed here. I don't measure anything, just tossing in as I go. Yes, the microwave does an excellent job. I also use it to "prebake" the apples I put in my apple pies. Another good way to fix baked apples is to wrap them in puff pastry and bake in the oven. Again, no recipe, I just mix up some things and put them in the oven at 400 for 20 or so minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe is simple and sounds good. I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! That looks amazing! What kind of apple did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That baked apple sounds like a great dessert for my grands. I will keep that in mind. What did you other recipes not turn out? I, like Kay, want to know the apple you chose. I am so sorry for Poolie's long battle and I am wondering if she is just ready for peace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small Gala. Why not have the kids do it...very simple.

      Delete

postcards

Celebration of Life