February 10, 2018

THE CHAOS OF GIVING BACK



I make an effort to give back a little to the world around me.  This morning on facebook, I saw a video of a world renowned barber giving free haircuts to the homeless.  It’s his way of giving back after eleven years of sobriety.  It made these folks look like new men and made them feel good about themselves.  Could I find the video to share a link with you?  No.  And I looked.

What I can do is share the giving back room chaos at work.  The goal of every person who works in the back room is to make order out of this chaos. 

Sometimes it can’t be done.  Sometimes kind folks bring in more donations than those of us in the back can go through.  Yes, we check for chips and cracks on ceramics.  Yes, we look for rips, tears, little fuzz balls, and we go through pocket and look at pant crotches.  I make jokes about it now.

“This one wore underwear,” I say with a grin.  The truth is, you have to have a certain kind of sense of humor to work back here.

They laugh.  The truth is that once long, long ago I had a donation where the pant wearing person never wore underwear.  Yesterday everyone wore underwear.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Sticking to his diet:  Lunch is his main meal.  Today Estate sale, breakfast as dinner, museum at noon for his first day at the new show, “Rat Rods.”
  • Me, myself, and I:  Following G around till he leaves then I am going to attempt to sew crows.
  • Reading:  Another Louise Penny.  I have such trouble putting her books down.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I can still see to read.


7 comments:

  1. God bless everyone who gives back, each in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of sorting. I suppose you do it by category, but whatever the method, what a lot to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Not everyone could work back there, Mage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a wonderful job of giving back to the world, Mage. I think I saw that video about the fellow cutting hair on TV a long time back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it when folks take the time to make a difference. Be proud. Really-- people donate dirty crotches:)) Glad you had a clean crotch day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice when people donate rather than sell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ewwwww....... No Underwear!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life