October 22, 2018

MALL THINKING

1983 G washing dishes.
           
Most of our weekends are often ritualized…Saturday is shopping, breakfast, and he goes to work.  Sunday we watch CBS in the morning always commenting that our moment of nature has been shortened.  We do computer time, and sometimes we take a ride before our evening gathering.  Frankly, I love the boringness of it all.

This weekend, the museum was closed for their 30 year Galla.  This weekend I didn’t want to spend all my time perched in front of my computer.  I stirred the pot, and we went to the Carlsbad Shopping mall.  Nothing for fat ladies, but the Ralph Lauren store had some wonderful heavy cotton shirts on sale. 

The salesman said to G, “I haven’t seen that one before”…referring to the Polo shirt he was wearing that we found at the Salvation Army store.  It’s a very old, favorite shirt.  He came home and got rid of 9 badly fitting shirts.

Lunch at Ruby’s…they have pulled their restaurant from the Mission Valley Mall, but this store was just glowingly jammed with families.  It was quite a good surprise to find this mall doing so well with two of San Diego’s important malls in dire trouble.  Horton Plaza has been sold and a school is moving in.  Mission Valley is a ghost town of empty stores.  They say Malls are dying.  This one certainly wasn’t.

It was a delightfully relaxed weekend doing nothing of any major value.  Sometimes this is just what we all need.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  His Mondays are a lot lighter since his boss has another team working on his Queue.  He was up early and off to the gym first thing.
  • Myself:  Homemaking stuff like laundry.  Yes, yesterday the dishwasher did the dishes.
  • Reading:  More Anna Pidgeon, who I would like better if she wasn’t always in the middle of a truly frightening catastrophe.
  • Gratitude’s:  The grey outside, the cool air, G holding my hand all evening.

5 comments:

  1. Blessings on mechanical power dishwashers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love weekends like yours, Mage. Time to just “be” is important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that mall is doing well. So many aren't. Death by Amazon. Love the color in the sketch plus a man doing dishes is always a welcome sight:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you have a comfy routine that's not too rigid to break every now and then. The one thing I will try to avoid is shopping on the weekend, particularly grocery shopping. But I don't always manage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am shocked -- Horton Plaza is closing??? A school is moving in?? Must be a university of some sort. And Mission Valley? Where was the Ruby's you went to? I get so behind when I get busy here. I sewed an apron for DIL's Halloween costume, am making a Fall table runner for myself, and I have about 10+ other table runners cut and ready to be sewn. Beyond busy but missing you... What are your plans for Breakfast on the Saturday after Thanksgiving? We'll be checking out and heading back home after spending Thanksgiving with the younger son, his family and his wife's family. Busy couple of days.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life