November 10, 2018

FIRES

 
           
This is the CAL Fire map, here, of the 9 am fire perimeters for the LA fire.  My friend Bobbie lives just out of the purple area to the right of that beige road from the 101 to the sea.  She tells me that they are ready to evacuate if they have to.  The biggest problem is that her next show is all crated and ready to go in the garage.   All I can hope is that she calls someone to come and pick it up today.

She lives high in the mountains on a dead end street.  Years ago, I suggested she keep an emergency kit near the front door in case of fires.  She thanked me yesterday.  If they were told to evacuate she had one more thing to grab, and Geoff was bringing two guitars and his computer. 

I often wondered what I would do in a situation like this.  George, of course.  Then bottom line, I would save the family pictures.  They are all scanned up and backed up on two computers.  If I could save meds, clothes, jewelry, and some of the family paintings, I would do that too.

What would you do if you were told to evacuate?  What would you save?



9 comments:

  1. This is such an overwhelming problem. I did have to evacuate a house due to flood and lost much although we managed to put all the photos and important stuff in the attic. It is surprising what will not be missed, but the real tragedy is to be homeless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been homeless a couple of times. Once when I was mad as a hatter, and the other time when the Garrison house burned down. My books all burned. That's what I still miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The computer for sure with all of my photos and other records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother always had her kit packed and under her bed, because the order would come in the middle of the night, of course. I would pick up the cat. Maybe I should stash his carrier under my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it. A friend emailed me her list, and it is so broad I will post it tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. My pets, my kindle and my computer. The rest can be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a large envelope with all of our paperwork in it. I would take our electronic devices. As much clothing as I could handle. Then I would go. However, if I had to drive through the firestorms like we've seen people do this past week, I wouldn't make it. Fire scares me. I have never struck a match or lit a candle in my 66 years. No fires in the fireplace. No campfires. I cook on an electric stove for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a bag by the door and have known this, so am long overdo for putting it together — have only partially done so. I would be unable to grab all I’d want with only short notice, so would likely be purse w/car keys, some paperwork, bag of some emergency products, hopefully cell phone and charger, a computer and charger, old family picture albums — but don’t think I could get all and carry in only one trip. Preparing for evacuation over period of time would allow for more, but sudden event, without much notice as in earthquake is something else.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life