December 9, 2018

OH, ADVENTURE !


The holidays begin slowly, and for me, bravely doing things I have never done before by myself. 

I had bought a “compass card” during the week.  No longer does one use paper transfers or paper day passes on public transportation here, now one has these bright yellow cards.  I put twenty dollars on it…richness in the old days, and Friday I got to use it for the first time.

There’s a bus stop right in front of the house, and the bus driver showed me how to use the card.  I got off downtown at the Santa Fe station, and managed to cross a quarter acre of tracks to the station waiting room.  There was a kind lady in an information booth who told me where and how to catch the Coaster.  I could inset the card in the machine near the far tracks, and it would tell me how much money I still had on it.  I had enough. 


George and two co-workers at the company dinner.

George was to meet me at the Carlsbad Poinsettia station.  As we zipped up the coast, a group of white haired bike riders included me in their conversations.  I felt far less as if I could get lost in their company.  I popped off the train at the right station, and I turned around to see George waiting on the other side of the tracks.  What a delight.


A chocolate macadamia nut tart.

I always dread office parties.  This one was held at the posh Rancho Bernardo Inn.  It only took us an hour to get there from the station as traffic was truly horrible.  (VS: a four hour round trip if G came south to get me and go back up for the party.)  No one was drinking.  There was a half an hour of smoosing before the very good food, and the after dinner games were fun.  I didn’t feel as isolated as usual.


The VW Bumble Bee.

It was December Nights in Balboa Park this weekend.  We puttered Saturday morning away then drove up to the park very early to find a place to put the Toyota.  For the last four or five years, I have worked this event with George at the Automotive Museum.  This year there were Sandwiches and drinks.  There were cookies and good company.  We enjoyed ourselves before 5PM when the doors opened.

I grabbed a chair at the docent table while waiting to be assigned to a car or truck.  The whole goal is to keep kids and adults off the cars and the chains surrounding them.  There I was for the duration.  The new director hovered a bit, but my desk was right at the main door so I didn’t blame him.  I got to talk with everyone, answer questions, and only had to yell once to get kids off the chains.  4,500 walked through the museum this free night.



1966 BMW Isetta behind me along with a Austin 7 and a Messerschmitt.  Old Post War WWII economical cars.  The VW was right in front.



These two vehicles were over where G was sitting.

Tonight we have a business meeting to attend.  I’m not in awe of these things nor am I uncomfortable.  I’m just terribly bored.  There are 0ver 60 volunteers that work here, and every six months the people rotate out of their positions.  Getting folks to volunteer when they would truly rather not is a challenge and sometimes an endless procedure.

We will survive and with a smile. 


14 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with what you give back to the community. That trip to the office party was downright bodacious, too. That little tart thingy looks out of this world, and a real piece of silverware to eat it with, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are quite the social butterfly. I cannot do anything, social or business after 5 pm. I did go to a meeting at 6 on Thursday, after reading stories to first graders earlier in the day. I was wiped out by the time I got home at 7:10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I have so much more in common I realize from this post. I can feel and see every event and empathize. I also have reached the time in my life when trying some new thing on my own is a challenge. Before I never even thought about it. Happy holidays, my dear. Now maybe I will post last week's dinner out as it sounds a little like most of us this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am kind of like you when it comes to both gatherings and meetings. I went to a town planning meeting of sorts in the fall and was reminded that it just isn’t my cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve been busy. That tart looks delish! Interesting cars.
    I recall driving up hwy many years ago when Rancho San Bernardo was just being developed. We visited the sample development homes and thought if we had work in the area we’d consider moving. But we were much further north. Always liked San Diego area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a whole lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One drawback about country living. No public transportation. Love the card idea.
    My heart skipped a beat at the yellow bug. I am a HUGE bug fan and only got my first one at age 62 which I had restored. Don't have it now but always smile when I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you to make your way through the public transportation system on your own. I'm impressed. The last time I managed to drive in downtown Portland, Oregon and actually find a parking place, I couldn't understand the parking meters. A very polite and grubby sidewalk citizen came over and showed me how it worked. At events, I do okay behind a counter or a table but roaming around or conversing at parties my reclusive inner self comes out. I am proud of you. And all those wonderful cars, I'd be thrilled to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a couple of real good days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a lover of parties. I like small gatherings over a meal.

    You did well getting to the meeting place on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have finished watching a really fun series called Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip. He's a chef and car afficionado who does a 6 day tour in Europe, driving different cars through the various countries. Some are race cars and some are downright funny. Excellent... on Netflix! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5IJGcgm60s

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an extrovert yet I find many meetings uncomfortable. I admire your fortitude and ability to make the best of each situation.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life