December 4, 2018

PLAYING WITH THE HOLIDAY


Keeping the living room simple this year was hard for me.  I am not one to fill my windows with moving Santa’s, nor am I fond of Christmas décor everywhere.   But, until recently, I have loved to hang our large collection of ornaments on the tree.  I confess that it crept far beyond the greenery too.

This year, I was tired.  There is a lack of motivation in me that has spilled over to the holiday.  I’m frankly ashamed to admit it.  At last I understand my mother who had this same lack of energy every Christmas.  I do wrap presents early.  Mother didn’t.  Martini in hand, she could found upstairs wrapping packages the very last minute before the unwrapping.

Dear G put all the empty ornament boxes up in the attic while I was at work today.  I do seem to be missing a couple of presents.  My thought is that they levitated in with the ornament boxes and won’t be seen again until I climb a ladder.

I did simplify the tree.  Only blue and turquoise balls and tear drops with a handful of clear snowflakes.  The rest of the room remains a delightful chaos while Bobbies quilt fills the other half with its crows and purpleness.
           



……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Working hard till 3, then PT.  Cats are doing good.
  • Myself:  Shelving seemingly hundreds of disparate boxes of books.
  • Reading:  ”Stilletto” which is the second Volume in the Rook series.
  • Gratitude’s:  George, the car…which is 12 now, dinner out, wonderful books, sunshine too.



9 comments:

  1. You have far outdone me. I've been too busy to get all the essentials around here done so I'm sure not adding any extra work like Christmas decorating. I'm thinking I am doing too much and will have to quit giving the historical home tours. This year I'm missing a day trip with my friends because I had booked a home tour on the same date months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue let some of our decs go to good homes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is fabulous. It has my seal of approval.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandkids will (or may)be down this weekend and that means I will ask them to decorate the tree. If they do not come down, there will be no tree but lots of votives everywhere in the house and just a few decorations. I am lazy and also pathetically apathetic. Those last two words cuold be a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those lavender tulips... And the striped Christmas balls!! Your tree is very similar to ours except yours is up and only the stand is on our corner table. The rest of the tree is still in the box, sitting on the garage floor. Your reluctance to decorate isn't difficult to understand as I have the same problem. The kids are coming up at the end of the month and I haven't shopped for a single gift. Last year I gave money. I might wimp out and do the same again this year. The kids didn't seem to mind, but I sure felt bad. Might have to make the call to the 'parental units' and see what the kids have been asking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree is beautiful, Mage. Your artistic self did a great job as tired as you were.

    I can’t find the energy or interest to finish the wrapping this year. I have to send a parcel to my brother so it has to be done soon. Time is running out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tree is wonderful this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love a single color tree ornaments and the blue is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very attractive tree! More than I’m doing this year.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life