April 18, 2008

Discombobulations






Monarch Of The Seas pool, 2007, Photo G..




Duck: Cards continue to arrive. I’ll send out an announcement this weekend to those in his address book that we haven’t called. A one line notice was place in Daily Union which serves Whitewater. We will see if we can put something in the local paper tomorrow.

Me: Worked and got to bed at three…..yes, I got home from a baseball game at 0230. I was so tired I almost didn’t appreciate working this record inning game. Sleeping in late threw me off all day. I cannot imagine those workers who missed their trolleys, had to get up at seven after two hours sleep, or went straight from baseball to their next jobs and had to think.

G: Had a good day at work yesterday, he said. Sleepy today tho. He did get five uninterrupted hours of sleep before coming to get me.

Work: Padre’s 2008 Schedule.
Game Weather schedule.
What do I do for 22 innings? I stand. After hearing the seventh inning stretch “Take me out to the ball game” song three times, all you want to do is go home and go to bed instead of stand. When you wake late after a twenty three inning game, your day begins on a discombobulated note. Mine began by falling out of bed at ten thirty.

I offer discombobulated bits to everyone today as a result.

Magic from Wintersong via ML in Pittsburgh. Suffice it to say, we all need a little magic.



Other magic: The sun rising over Arthur Kill at Tugsters page.

Alice remembers Duck, and she sends me Edna St. Vincent Millay’s Sonnet about death written when she was still angry, still so missing her lover who died that all she could do was slash out in words.

Time does not bring relief; you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide;
The old snows melt from every mountain-side,
And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;
But last year's bitter loving must remain
Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide!
There are a hundred places where I fear
To go,--so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face
I say, "There is no memory of him here!"
And so stand stricken, so remembering him!


Those words were mine after my friend Joleen’s early death from breast cancer. Sometimes I still feel that way about Delpha’s much too early death also.

Duck’s slow fading gave us an easy out. Many who knew him in the past are missing the young man filled with promise that we did not know. I miss the caring older friend who gave back far more than he took. Every day has holes now and will for many a year.

Filling my discombobulated corners this morning are the Midlife Gals. Boy, they sure can still things up. No matter what, they will make you laugh. Even if you can’t spell……like me, they will leave you laughing. Still laughing but with a more serious bent are the Sandwich Scouts. Sandwiched betwixed and between, they offer badges for learning new behaviors like remembering to take your lunch to the emergency room when going as caregiver with family or friends. You can even earn a badge for impounding the car keys or car. Duck would have liked this page.

Crabby Old Lady lists all sorts of interesting items to be discombobulated about this morning. I’m awful. I find I’m shrunk so small that I have no interest in much beyond my nose right now. What? Election? You say I need to pay attention, to read the speeches. Me….my debate is shall I take pain pills or not so I can keep on working. I’ve been taking Ibuprofen every working day for years, but these are real pain meds. And you want me to move beyond my issue with drugs and think?

Moving my little bit of grey matter around toward cruising, I stop by John Heald’s Blog. A little rude and crude sometimes, this senior cruise director for Carnival sure stirs up the waters as he travels about. Just the thought of cruising keeps me taking my drugs, going to work, remembering that only five more days of baseball will lead to five days on the ocean.

Holland America Lines Eurodam isn’t discombobulated as she nears completion. HAL, also a member of the Carnival family, is having a 135th birthday today. We can’t afford HAL yet, but someday we will. I note HAL’s Captain Albert is moving the Veendam in an organized way toward the Panama Canal. That’s one thing I want to do. Alaska first. Panama Canal next. I wish I could get off the ship and see the lock controls my grandfather designed. Moving on through the locks will have to do. Dreaming is good.

I can do undiscombobulated oceans dreaming or not.



Links:

Edna St. Vincent Millay’s Sonnets

2 comments:

  1. Watched the video with my daughter. Yes, it is magic of the best sorts; it completely draws in audience.

    The poem is beautiful. Grief still has the ability to awash us, many years after someone has died.

    Take care about those pills.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life