June 14, 2009

Flag Day






Himself: Didn’t feel well last night with chills and a headache but is doing better today.

Herself: Really pretty darned good.

Reading: Losing Mum and Pup.

Balance: Seeing the Avedon show of his political images at the Fine Art Gallery yesterday. The Wikipedia Avedon page covers the details of his life.

I photograph flags. The American Flag, actually. There’s no rhyme or reason to this except that the colors and movement catch my eye. I like the drama of it.



No great streak of patriotism behind this quirk either. Mother always flew a flag. In her last years at #20 she had a flag pole installed so she could fly the flag every day.



I was deeply moved by the sight of a garrison flag flying off the stern of the Star Of India after 9/11. I am touched by the rows of flags up at Fort Rosecrans, I served in the military, but I admit that I’m a failure as a flag waver on Flag Day.



For a long time, I felt passionate about our freedoms, but other countries have these same gifts such as freedom of speech. I’m grateful to have been able to support Civil Rights. I’m grateful that I can oppose the government here. Some countries have it even better especially with health care. Other’s have it far, far worse in all things.

In the end, I am grateful to be here. I wave the flag for you. Perhaps at you. Maybe with you.

2 comments:

  1. 59 yrs. ago my husband joined the AF on this day. Our flag flies most every day. while in PA I noticed many there do too.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life