August 9, 2009

Cooking




Swapmeet dishes.


Himself: Found three jobs to apply for on a Saturday morning.

Herself: Cleaned and tidied, and I posted a nice large new pile of plunge pictures from Tim to the Plunge album and remembered to send out a note to everybody. Gosh, I really was a size 14.

Reading: Finished Masterharper of Pern

Balance: The brief silence before the casserole.

Something’s gone wrong with my cooking. Nothing comes out quite right no matter what I do. It’s discouraging. Perhaps I shouldn’t assume. That seems to be what’s getting me in trouble these days…assumations.

I made a what should have been a delightful gazpacho. Instead, it was so acid that my toes curled.

I peeled and seeded the tomatoes, G seeded and diced the cucumber, and even though the added green onions and parsley gave the soup a decided green cast, the problem was in the lemon.

I assumed. Thinking that one of those ice cube container cubes was a tablespoon, I followed the recipe and popped two in the soup. On finishing, we discovered it really was four. Perhaps even more from the degree of toe curl.

Yesterday I followed the recipe for a zucchini casserole to the measurement…exactly. Four cups of grated zucchini means four cups. Remembering my error with a carrot cake where I didn’t pack the carrots into the measuring cup tightly enough, I packed those grated zucchini bits in beyond tightly.

I won’t tell you what went wrong with my eggs, but I made a lightening run to the grocery store for a fresh dozen eggs while eliminating a horrid smell in my icebox. Ah, a reality I hadn’t expected.

When I mixed my three beaten eggs and tablespoons of flour in with the zucchini, I still had grated zucchini. I thought about adding a fourth egg but didn’t. When I took this concoction out of the oven, the recipe saying the center should be cooked, I still had a center of solid zucchini.

I’m not giving the gods a third chance here. Next time I’m not grating the zucchini.

2 comments:

  1. It is so discouraging to make an effort to prepare something nice and have things go wrong. You are anticipating a delicious dish and then it doesn't turn out. Lets hope the next recipe works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the food sounded good. What a great idea to freeze fresh lemon juice! I either have too many lemons or none and hate to buy them in the market. .99 for one? Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life