August 21, 2010

Back to the Future




Above: After starting to change our eating habits…..he’s 20 pounds lighter. Below: The G's before the change...she 2 sizes larger. The G’s in 2010.

Yesterday and Today

My Babylonian Captivity: Do stop in and read Tugster's newest blog. For Tugster was captured in Iran when Iraq invaded, and this is the story of that time.

Himself: Swam and worked training on the new computer. Asked for an ID picture so I took one that went off to HR via email. Everything still being done at a remove. Went to his favorite Friday meeting.

Herself: …and the quilt blog too: Swam, work early and got the bronze and amber necklace I so coveted and wouldn’t have bought if G had not been employed. Came home and caught up on my reading….a very quiet evening, and I need to get used to these. I need to learn new quiet afternoon habits.

Gratitude: The job. Everyday I say thank you a hundred times. Did I tell you that I had security issues.

I am so grateful that G got this car job, you can find me dancing in the streets a hundred times a day….singing mass in Swahili, whipping my old lady sweater off and doing the boogie….that’s me. As we move from the extroverted displays of gratitude into the mundane, I find myself happily puttering about the house, considering taking a dust mop to the masses of spider webs that adorn the high corners of the house, picking up after myself, and other nesting in general activities. Isn’t that amazing.

Lessa is stopping by tomorrow. Isn’t that amazing also. She’s coming to us. Her sewing machine case arrived. Her ordered-online sewing machine cams arrived. Oh yes, the Geezer is shopping til he drops again. All this will happily happen if MJ’s cough doesn’t keep them at home. A mundane cold…which we don’t want. Mundane visit to the doctor for a note. It’s so nice to be able to see beyond the constant search for a job.

We are out looking at a couple of local estate sales this morning. No more Thursday, Friday, and Saturday estate sale hopping for us….the new normal will be shopping on Saturday mornings before he heads to the museum. I’ll miss the orgy of oggling, but the truth is, we need nothing. We do this mundane, weekend act for the fun of it….the enjoyment of the search not the need of the purchase.

Right now, I’m so very grateful that we have these mundane acts to help lead us into the future. I’m beyond grateful to have this new future.

6 comments:

  1. All that weight of uncertainty (and otherwise) has been lifted. No wonder you are feeling so euphoric. Just goes to show us all, be thankful for a roof over our heads and a job to go to. Health is also super important. Love too.... ok, I can see this list is getting too long (lol). Do enjoy yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanting gainful employment is not a security issue. It is an honest and appropriate attitude. You will find plenty to do to fill time, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanting gainful employment is not a security issue. It is an honest and appropriate attitude. You will find plenty to do to fill time, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yae, Maggie! I am so thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for the healthy change in eating! I've added a couple links on Wintersong about healthy food. I think we'd all do well to re-educate ourselves about the food we consume in this country. It's mostly about food politics, y'know. There's a reason so many American's are overweight. Here's to enlightenment! I'm very happy your lives are settling into a new normal. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very, very happy for you both. And sorry I'm so far away that I miss the dancing in the street and the singing in Swahili!

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life