November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to You All!




Maggie looking out the back window of her tiny cottage in 1980, glass of rose in hand and dinner on the tables below her.


Who knew when we all began blogging online that we would make friends here. The words “Social Networking” weren’t born yet, and most of us thought of blogging as writing in a diary or journaling.

Now we think of writing here as talking with friends. I think of each you who read this as being one of my friends, and I am so glad to know you all.

How truly rich my life is for having all of you in it. I look forward to reading more new writers this year and meeting more of you in person. Although I mourn those of us who aren’t here to share with us any more like Chuck, Delpha, and Marion B, without this medium every corner of my life would have been vastly smaller.

This holiday we will share the day down near the beach. We have been attending a potluck holiday meal at the Ocean Beach Club House for a few years. It’s a place many newly sober folks come to gather, and once a year they meet up for an extraordinary meal to share their gratitude. Last year we signed up to bring pies. Lots of other’s didn’t sign up but brought pies, and we had wall to wall pies.

This year I am making a favorite high fat, mayonnaise based coleslaw for the potluck. Later this morning, G and I are running to Mama’s Kitchen and buying a pie to help with their AIDS and cancer meal services. I know all of you are doing some small thing to share this holiday also.

Many of us have written some beautiful words for this holiday about gratitude, but I fall back on Ronni Bennett’s Elder Thanksgiving entry and the comments below the entry to say it all.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! What a great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one am a bit down on Thanksgiving, so I am happy to catch up on blogs, including yours which I try to read regularly. Thanks for posting. I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this photo! Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving, Maggie. That's a lovely way to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your sentiments, my dear. My life is so rich because of the writing we do here

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice post. I too enjoy my blogging friends. My life would be deprived without them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I missed you here yesterday! A lovely post. I'm glad your day was spent where you seem to love being most. Hope to meet you both someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm annoying, y'know. I still call it my journal, 'cause I still dislike the term blog.

    I love Thanksgiving and find something new for which to be grateful, even after all these years. Every new online friend is a treasure.

    I'm home after the celebration. Hope you had a wonderful day, Treasured Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Maggie! I love that photo of you with the glass of wine over the wonderful feast. I am very grateful to have you in my online family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warming post, Maggie. I hope the day was a wonderful day for you and all those around you. Blessings, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving (a wee bit late) such a lovely sentiment. Its so nice knowing you, and your friends through this blog. Annie

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life