November 16, 2010

Serendipity (EDIT: Add Picture)




A line forms to go to the top of the lighthouse. The tower itself is only open two days a year. Yesterday was one of the days. 2010.



Yesterday and Today

Himself: He came home to announce that he actually got everything written while out on the road. The new program isn’t online, it’s in his computer. His working time is cut to a fraction of what it was, and he can upload pictures of his wrecks at the same time. This morning, more wrecks….so we think he must be employed.

Herself: with the quilt blog too: An errand kind of day that ended up broken by a little serendipity. Despite my wanderings, I still got laundry and groceries done plus a little reading.

My Babylonian Captivity: Chapter November 15 through November 22: Do stop in and read Tugster's experience as a human shield. He writes that, “ i was captured in kuwait (where i was teaching in the kuwaiti air force)….”

I drive, therefore I am.

No, that’s not it. Let’s try this again. I’m free in Southern California because I drive. Ah, reality. So I got out there on the roads yesterday morning. I find I’m more comfortable when I have a goal, but the alleys of OB were trash free this day. Why alleys? I can easily make left turns from a blind stop onto a busy street. Since the alleys offered tame stuff this day, I headed up the point to the Cabrillo/Point Loma Lighthouse. (The park service link to lighthouse history.)



I’m the owner of a one-time purchase, US Park Service senior pass. As I passed by the fee booth, the ranger mentioned that the tower of the light house was open this day.

I immediately turned around, went home to get my camera, ate lunch, and folded laundry before I headed back up. Lenora didn’t want to go….her old dog is really hurting.



The Light House Service of 1855, built these Cape Cod style lighthouses up and down the state. Lacking foresight, they placed the lighthouse on the top of San Diego’s largest promontory….where fogs sock the top in many days of the year. For 35 years the light shown not out over the ocean but out into the fog. In 1891. the light keeper boarded up the lighthouse and moved down the hill to the new lighthouse.





I did fine until I reached this ladder. Switching my packpack around to the front helped., but what I really needed was a lift for my right leg. The tower is iron, and the cap on the tower is copper. The lens is a third order Fresnel lens.



A submarine comes in with its crew emerging on deck, and a submarine moves on out…first with a tug then increasing its speed.







Here a view of the Point and Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery off in the distance. Ocean on one side and bay on the other, it’s a dramatic panorama rarely equaled.



I caught a quick glimpse of the volunteers as I left shooting into the light.


18 comments:

  1. Oh Maggie -- This was serendipitous, wasn't it!!!

    I've been to Point Loma and have taken lots of pictures, but the perspective from the lighthouse is second to none. Could this day have been any clearer?? I don't think so.

    I always wanted to see subs and have never spotted them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Worth the drive, I guess.

    One of the many reasons I don't live in California is that I never had a love affair with automobiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to spend the day. I'd love to explore an old lighthouse like this. Thanks to you, I pretty much have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lighthouse! What a nice moment for you! Huzzah! And, as always, your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good heavens, what photos! I am getting caught up, as usual, and have missed lots of your posts. I just read the one on blogging (and writing) and am interested in how different people are. Words flow from you so easily. I find writing a real effort, and I am much too lazy to write in a diary every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all wonderful. You'd better be careful or someone is going to appoint a guardian to watch over you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been to that area numerous times...how did I miss viewing the lighthouse?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What marvellous photos! The view is enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic images, what a great find. I don't think you could have had a prettier day... anywhere!

    Congrats on POTW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that stairwell....be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun and wonderful to be in such a place. Enjoyed the photo's and visiting this lighthouse with you. Congratulations on POTW mention at Hilary's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew immediately from the picture that this was a West Coast lighthouse, since they are not the tall towers found out here on the East Coast. Serendipitous, indeed, to have such a beautiful day for viewing and taking pictures!
    Congrats on your POTW

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice blog to roam through, you have some great shots.I never saw a sub like this and really loved going inside of the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your pictures. What a beautiful place to visit. I also LOVE your name. It is one of my favorite names in all the world. I am so delighted I got to meet you today and see your pretty blue water and your gorgeous lighthouse view! What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maggie, these are beautiful shots. such a treat to tour the lighthouse with you. So nice of you to do the climbing for the rest of us. Congrats on POTW.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the shot of the spiral staircase. Can't imagine getting up there regularly. The subs were a great shot as well. What a beautiful day for the lighthouse to be open!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The volunteers against the light looked a bit like ghosts. Nice. Loved the stairwell too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, a perfect lighthouse, although I feel that I lighthouse should be rather taller; but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life