January 17, 2012

Set the Timer...



Cruising can be magic. Photographs from our 2007 Monarch of the Seas cruise….the one that got us both hooked on cruising.


Perhaps I stood or walked too much Sunday night, but Monday morning saw me moving very slowly. I did manage a few laps in the deep end running with the old retired OB Librarian before aerobics class. We talked about movies.

I’d talked with Bee at our usual early hour yesterday morning, but I’ve been more than suggesting lately that we move the time from 6am to something a little later. Now that I’m not drinking coffee, quarter after nine sounds really good to me. We tried it yesterday morning, and both of us found ourselves lucid. We will have to try it for an hour to see how much of our day talking like this will eat up. She insists on real time voice contact at least once a week. I can see the validity of it, but I hate talking on the phone.



Perhaps hate is putting it mildly. I remember as a teen hanging about on the downstairs phone by the hour….my legs up, my legs down, the phone glued to my ear while talking about who knows what with my best friend. Did I mention that my youngest wants phone calls too.



So I came home to find the Geezer still in attendance. With a broom in hand. The plumber was on his way. Now four hours later, I am still doing laundry while reading accounts of the sinking of the Costa Concordia. Down I go, clean laundry in to the dryer, dirty stuff into the now safe to use washer, and up I come to scan. Once I forgot to set the timer and dozed my way past when the sheets should come out of the dryer. They were still wet. I was saved. Now my mantra for the day is, “set the timer, set the timer.”

Dinners are done for the week also. Simple meals. Tonight a Caprese salad with broccoli sautéed in garlic and good dash of crushed red pepper with a hamburger steak. Tomorrow Cajun chicken breasts with a bit of avocado peach salsa on top plus a little couscous. Maybe steamed green beans too. That sort of thing. These are all things I won’t louse up.

It’s a good day to smile.

8 comments:

  1. Simple dinners? Good grief, sounds complicated to me. I hate talking on the phone. Get people off as fast as I can. Have a good day. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This format works well for me. Thanks. I am on wordpress. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate talking on the phone too. Mostly because my job for years as an insurance claims adjuster required phone conversations all the damn day....still hate to talk on the phone....
    The simple dinners sound lovely...and more complex than a sandwich....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll sautee broccoli with garlic and olive oil, then sprinkle the broccoli with parmesan cheese. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dinners. When do I get invited?

    Thanks for all of your encouragement. Things are definitely looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dinners. When do I get invited?

    Thanks for all of your encouragement. Things are definitely looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have friends that think anything less than an hour is not very friendly. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a big phone person but I think two daughters who want to hear your voice on a regular basis are worth all the gold in California. I never was big on cruising...all that confinement and forced fun is not my cup of tea. I could sit at a pool or the balcony of a hotel and get the same experience after touring the countryside in my car...but to each his/her own.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life