May 6, 2012

Celebrating






Wonderful stuff the Cirque du Soleil.  Movement, color, excitement….oh, I am a walking advertisement for the magic of the Cirque.  Even under canvas the designers were able to get tremendous depth of action in a space limited not just by width but also by height. 




Even the one act that inspired us the least required great physical prowess and condition.  None of us could have done such a thing.  The act I liked the best, a quarreling high wire couple, quibbled, warred, battled then made up high above us on a bar that seemed to float in the firmament.  Simply marvelous.




No camera’s allowed of course.  No sound recording allowed either so I cannot share with you the pulse of the drums, the movement all around us, the laughter and the joy. 

It was a world of lines and rope, of knots and come-a-longs inside and outside the big tent.  I was just as interested in the backstage view of the show as I was of the show itself.  There was one electrically powered ramp that occupied space as an integral part of the show, not backdrop, but everything else seemed to be flown by rope and line. 




We were still laughing and enjoying this special night out as we left the Cirque.  It’s nearing my 28th sobriety date as well as our 29th anniversary.  I let G pick the restaurant, and we found ourselves in the middle of a giant crush of Nazarene college graduates at the Bali Hai on Shelter Island.  Yes, dinner was worth the wait.  Yes, the fleets of young things with their skirts up to their ears and the boys all in ties were delightful to watch.  So were the parents in their longer skirts and wider ties.

Still young ourselves, we fell into bed and dozed until the unimaginably late hour of seven. 

10 comments:

  1. Aren't they faboo??? I saw them twice in the tent and three times in Vegas. MAHVELLUSSSSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about this and need to check it out when it comes to town which it does every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I envy you seeing the Cirque...That is one show I would love to see myself.
    Sounds like you both had a wonderful time. And big congratulations on your many years of marriage and your sobriety...Both are anniversaries to be cherished....it takes a lot of determination and hard work to reach such goals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like you had yourself a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful post, Mage! I wish I had been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a show but would love to someday. You always find such unique perspectives in your photos. You can make a shelf of water bottles into a great photo. Love these, especially the colors. Congrats on 28 years!! (And 29 as well....both amazing milestones.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. any congrats on both counts.
    I have never seen the Cirque buthaveonly heard good things about them. Lovely outing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I checked out the Bali Hai menu. How hip! They have a vegetarian menu! You forgot to tell us what you ate. Happy anniversaries to both of you.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life