May 31, 2013

Preserving Our Diaries and Journals

Journals:  Archival Boxes, 2002 to 2009.

When I started keeping a journal, they were in soft cover sketchbooks.  Later they expanded into 8 ½ x 11 hardbound sketchbooks.  Then they grew again into the 11 x 14 hardbounds that gave me a good expanse to draw and write in. 

When I switched to an all digital format, I began keeping the ephemera of my life in archival boxes labeled by year with a CD of the blogs included.  That’s a lot of heavy volumes and boxes packaged up and sitting on a shelf and in the garage.  That’s a lot of coming apart sketchbooks and rusty 3 ring binders just stored and waiting.

I want to find a home for these volumes and boxes.  I don’t want to burden my kids with this great mass of stuff.  Although they record my and San Diego history from 1974, I know that the underfunded San Diego historical society isn’t the right place for them either.  There they would moulder on a back shelf.  I’d been wondering if SDSU’s woman’s study program would be the right place….or just the library at SDSU.

What do you all think?

Sketchbook journals being shelved.


  • Keeping those on the Midwest and east coast in my thoughts.
  • Himself:  Resented that nothing much was done about the meeting BBQ except by him.  He’s doing better now.
  • Herself:  Hobbling yesterday.
  • Reading:  ”The Girl Who Heard Dragons”  and other stories by Anne McAffrey.
  • Balance:  Getting a little of everything done from making the bed to drawing.
  •  



    5 comments:

    1. Yes, I would talk to the University and ask for their suggestions. You have a wealth of material there that will be precious to many more than your own family.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh what to do with all those old journals. I have books of them in my upstairs study. Mostly they collect dust. I have tossed much stuff about my life. I might matter to someone someday, but in the end, probably not. Too sad, isn't it.

      Don't know what you should do. Only recently, one of my historian classmates began to assemble the letters between Vincint Price and Deanna Durbin for a prof at my university who is writing a book about their marriage. You would have thought that book was done years ago, but few today even know who they were.

      Dianne

      ReplyDelete
    3. I just saw the scary news just now too. I hope all our friends and relatives in the region are doing OK.

      I have a whole bunch of journals too. I have no idea what to do with them.

      Mage, thank you, thank you for continuing to keep me company during our trip to China. It felt so weird to be cut off from my blog. I didn't realize blogs were banned there. I could still see your wonderful comments by e-mail and they always cheered me. You're the best!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I have a box full of my mother's old journals. Unfortunately she didn't write much of interest or revelation in them...just what she ate or what dances she did at Arthur Murray's dance class.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I think that is a great idea. I love that you have them all organized. I need to get with it and get that done.

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life