August 25, 2015

Quilting Thinking

  

Oh, I know.  I said I was done with quilting, that the Blue Quilt was my last quilt, and then I gave all my fabric scraps away.  Yes, I did that.  I thought I had a few left, but it looks like I gave then all away to the quilting teacher for the Somalian community here.

Unfortunately, Bobbie talked me into making her a quilt.  In khaki’s.  No browns…what does she think khaki is?  A grey/green she tells me.  I have to break down and tell her that my khaki and her khaki aren’t communicating.  I’ve decided to make the quilt to please myself.  An art quilt.

When I quit quilting, the smallest fabric size that was available was a “fat quarter.”  Again, things have changed.  Now there are pre-cuts in all the much wanted sizes like 2 ½ inch wide strips.  I, who have hand eye coordination problems, see endless possibilities if I use pre-cuts cut by someone else.  I bet they are uniform and really 2 ½ wide.  The thought makes me laugh.

Right now I am thinking queen size with a single row of a diamond like pattern along the bottom.  Strips coming up from the bottom about half way up first in shadow colors then in pale golden grass like profusion.  Then a space of solid fabric broken by a little strip of color here or there.  Finally at the very top, perhaps filling 2 or 3 feet, will be flapping and soaring crows.  Sooty black crows against a light grey sky.

Now we see what happens.


  • Himself:  Happy despite the stock market fall.  Hauling me to the pool every morning at an awfully early hour.  Life is good.
  • Herself:  Ignoring the stock market correction.  Doing research on new quilting stuff.  Thinking about a trip out to http://www.rosiescalicocupboard.com/>Rosie’s Quilt Shop. Talking to Bobbie.  Photographing at Great Curves.
  • Reading:  A new author.
  • Gratitudes:  How well I feel after PT in the hot tub and walking in the Pool.


  • 5 comments:

    1. YOUR quilt is amazing, but even more so is your garage floor. I've never had a garage floor clean enough to put a quilt on it. Oh, maybe an old quilt for a cat's bed, but that's it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I don't know about the new quilt project, but I sure do love the blues in the one in your pictures. Wow! I gave away all my quilt scraps as well....just don't have the interest or the time.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Beautiful blue quilt. Can't wait to see another. Can't imagine grey-green quilt without yellow. Like a garden. Maybe Monet's? better than those Van gogh crows....unless you are in a dark place.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Love your quilt and I too am impressed with your garage floor.

      ReplyDelete
    5. It's such a joy to think about projects,isn't it? I love the thinking almost as much as the doing.

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life