November 2, 2016

Day of the Dead



Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday that has been welcomed in the South Western part of the US.  It is a time to celebrate and pray for family members and friends who have died.  Colorful alters, flowers, and foods fill cemeteries all over Mexico.

I have a small alter up to celebrate the life of Frida Kahlo.  Her life and works have affected everyone in the world.  From small things, like naming a dog Freda, to big things, her influences are still felt in the arts world.

The AIDS Quilt with its unusual and personal memorial blocks offers another way of celebrating a life.  I did not know Peter Smith, but I knew and loved the man who made this block for Peter.  It certainly seems fitting to share Peter with my friends this day.

Links:




                                                                    

  • Himself:  Gym, and long hours.
  • Herself:  Got the fabrics organized and got the Crow quilt reorganized in my mind at last.  Freed up a bit of my soul by cleaning it all up.
  • 52 Week House Reorganization:  Fabrics and work area.
  • Reading:  A bio of Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
  • Gratitudes:  That I sewed for a while and only had to take out two seams.


  • 4 comments:

    1. STILL working on the damn smoke alarm. Cleaned the sensors with air, unplugged and changed battery and pressed reset, went out an bought a NEW smoke alarm ($30.00) and my guest bedroom still tweeting and I have kids coming on Saturday! Stressed and want to drink wine and eat chocolate, but I will do free weights instead. Hubby calling an electrician.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am so sorry. T do understand. We had to replace the brand new one in the garage as it wouldn't stop saying "carbon Monoxide." LOL You have my deepest sympathy...beeps too.

        Delete
    2. Great post! Thank you for the reminder of this day!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Love the costuming for Day of the Dead. :)

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life