December 11, 2017

CHANGES


1984, family in the tiny Sears Prefab, single wall construction cottage.

It’s that time of year again.  Time for changes big and small.  Time for moving on.  Time to laugh at oneself while we are at it.

I still keep a paper calendar/appointment book.  Last year I bought my replacement pages late.  All that was available was day at a glance.  Two pages for one day.  I don’t need that much space for my few appointments.  This year I managed to remember ahead of time and bought the smaller version.  I’m going to appreciate this change all year.

The one present is off in the mail as are cards for two family members.  We used to have these huge gatherings where many much loved friends would come exchange presents.  Last year I tried having an open house, and one couple came.  I can’t carry a resentment around with me about this, but I remain sad thinking about it.  Change indeed.


1986: Christmas at the big house in my favorite chair.  My hair couldn’t be worse.

This year we have a museum party, a company party, and I hope to have a breakfast with Margot and Zoe.  She started her new job today.  Eight thirty in the morning.  Usually she treats us to breakfast Christmas Morning, but we are not in her budget this year.  I’ll call her later today to find out when we can meet.  Christmas eve at an Alcathon…a 24 hour gathering offering meetings, munchies, and coffee.  Changes continue.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Working hard at losing weight.  Yesterday’s funeral was out of the pastor’s comfort zone, and the favorite heavy metal band of Jeff’s was appallingly loud in that tiny chapel.  Perhaps the reception would have been good, but we ran errands.
  • Herself:;   Visited my father’s grave and noted my mother’s name was still on the headstone.  Volunteered for an easy no brainer job at the Sunday meeting.
  • Reading:  Almost done with that old Bosch.  Doing a few cards.
  • Captain Poolie:  Sleeping little.  In total Agony last night.  Called the on-call doc and got new meds.  Brain Tumor with her.
  • Gratitude’s:  That we were able to Know Jeff and were able to share his joy and happiness in life.


5 comments:

  1. Christmas has changed a lot for us over the years. The new normal can be lovely in its own way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas carries more and more sadness with it the older we get. I hope Poolie won't have to have such a bad night again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The complexion of Christmas sure does change as the years pile on. Memories are an important part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Himself for working at losing weight at this time of year. Hard at any time, but ...

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life