October 26, 2018

THE PILOTS


Two WWII Flyers on break between sorties:  Charcoal on rolled paper, 3x3.  Owned by BDMK.
           
One of the first classes I took when I went back to college was an upper level drawing class.  One of the first things I learned out there in the real world was to crop the image so it made more sense and pushed the image into drama. 

The photograph I worked from showed two men dozing under a wing of their aircraft.  It was a wide and all-encompassing image showing the plane and the landscape all around the plane.  I remember getting the image tighter then tighter until only the men were left.  Looking at the drawing today, I’m pleased.  I might even know who those men were.  I think we can all clearly see how tired they are.

It was about this time, I bought a giant roll of paper.  It was eight feet wide, and years long.  Instead of the small intimate pen and ink doodles I had been doing for years, my work began to grow colorful and very large.  Layers of acrylic wash lived under pastel marks and gestures.  Most of those were a little simple but they weren’t boring.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Work is lighter and he isn’t taking it too seriously.  He also slept an hour more than usual and skipped the gym.
  • Myself:  Still very happy with the MRI results, and the blood test results.  My fasting blood sugar is well within the normal range.  I’m also trying to find a simple beach sketch that’s not damaged to show you, but can’t find one anywhere.
  • Reading:  Finished that DE Stevenson which fell apart in my hands.
  • Gratitude’s:  Filled with it for both of us.



7 comments:

  1. Love the charcoal, Mage. Fantastic work! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! And yes, I hear the same advice about cropping -- whether in camera or in post. Camera is preferable, but we don't always get it right, so later has to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness... I wouldn't know where to look for paper 8' wide, but what a treasure to have--an endless supply of blank canvas to use whenever the urge to lay pen to paper strikes! Good for G to sleep in; sleep is every bit as important as exercise, and sometimes even more so. Hugs and love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blick...the art supply store or any student art store on any campus. LOL

      Delete
  4. Love your description of paper 8 feet wide and years long. That is like money in the bank. Enjoy unrolling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. There was enough to make two whole one women shows out of it. :)

      Delete

postcards

Celebration of Life