January 27, 2019

LOOK WHAT I FOUND




·     Look what I found.  Here’s the original of that colorful self-portrait.  Below is the picture I had been looking for two weeks ago and couldn’t find.  I did find a smaller version of it, and that’s what I post here.  Look behind me.  There are zinneas.  I used to love to garden.  There is a border of petunias too.  That’s the house with the backwards slanting windows.  The sills all drained inward.
·     Still hacking and coughing here.  I’m in the middle of my usual dire response to the common cold.  Slept 12 hours yesterday.  Didn’t sleep much last night tho.
·     I mailed off an Arty Card to John Grey in Wales.  It’s come back twice now as we cannot get the postage quite right.  Monday I will take it to the Post Office and find out what is wrong with all the fifty cent stamps on it.  We should have looked the postage up, I suppose, but one card now has a dollar fifty on it.
·     Yesterday was G’s 65th Birthday.  For weeks I had been asking him what he wanted.  The one thing that gave him the most joy was his new POLO polo shirt.  He was unwilling to drive up the coast to the outlet stores.  He prefers to try and finish the Bobbie scroll box so he doesn’t have to pay another hundred some bucks for the work space.  Macy’s carries POLO.  They had one shirt he loved in XL, but that is too small.    He bought it anyway…plus another. 
·      The granddaughter that had been consistently getting F’s in several classes because she didn’t turn in her homework, now has a 4.0.  We are all cheering.
·     Finished “Looking For A Ship.”…In 1990, author John McPhee writes of last stages of the United States Merchant Marine.  The crews were hired on by seniority…and still are.  At the time this book was written, our Merchant Marine had shrunk from 2000 ships to just over 400.  The American shipping lines that still lived in 1990 are all assimilated or dead as is the star of the book, the Stella Lykes.  I really enjoyed this volume.3




……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Working on his box after CBS Sunday Morning.  Dinner and a Meeting.
  • Myself:  Naps, laundry, dinner and a meeting.  I have no idea what dinner will be.
  • Photograph:  Paul Adams Hawkins
  • Reading:  Brandsetter #5.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I am here and happy.  No Joy yet tho.



15 comments:

  1. What an attitude in that pose. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had two of those chairs in our living room in my father's post Danish modern phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they were comfortable too. I had three canvas versions here, but in the end, I had real trouuble getting out of them. :)

      Delete
  3. Your work is a wonderful interpretation of the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo and drawing. Glad you found them and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My motivation for meals has waned as well. Tonight two small pork chops fried with yellow pepper and part of an onion and a baked potato. I am trying to clean out the fridge! I think you are doing really well with all your projects and a cold. You cannot order the shirt on the Internet. What art courses did you take? I forgot, you were an art major?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am doing really well too. LOL Your diner sounds great. Here a hamburger steak with Italian seasoning and the basic Romaine, radish, blue cheese lemon and oil dressing. Looks and smells good tho meagre in styling. Courses: 90 Lower division art units. Painting, drawing, life drawing, hand construction of and castling jewelry, pottery, and englobes. All the lower division art history too. At SDSU I took all sorts of painting classes, life drawing for 4 years, weaving, and endless art and architectural history classes. I also took graduate architectural history classes and did a thesis on the WPA murals. LOL No body ever asks me any architectural history questions.

      Delete
    2. Really impressed and thankful you are not super critical of my photographs.

      Delete
    3. Ha, and what did you study? LOL Imagine a whole year of englobes.

      I really love your images.

      Delete
  6. I do hope you get over your cold soon. It sounds as though the infection has settled in your bronchial tubes -- not good. If you're not better within a week, you should see the dr. for an antibiotic. Healing hugs to you and sincere congratulations to the granddaughter with the 4.0 grades!!! So very pleased. Wish George a belated, but very Happy Birthday for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so sick every year that I was very proactive this year. My life is dozing and sleep today with pills.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to G! He’s still a young guy. Love the self portrait. Even your self portraits are super artitistic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last cold I had hung around in various forms for almost three months. Such is the life of a senior.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite the pose. You always manage to be watching something that we all wish we could see.
    Happy Birthday to George. Still a puppy at 65.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life