May 15, 2019

MAKING THE BED

An early bedroom layout.
                                                
In a September 2017, a New York Times article by Katherine Rosman caught the magic of making your bed. 

“When Adm. William H. McRaven was stationed in Afghanistan, his days were filled with chaos and unpredictability. “We could have soldiers dying and the horror of civilian casualties,” he said.

“His hedge against the stress of chaos and bloody warfare? The morning ritual of pulling the corners of his bedsheets at a 45-degree angle and tucking them tightly.

“You need an anchor point for your day, and sometimes that anchor is as a simple as making your bed,” said Mr. McRaven, now the chancellor of the University of Texas and the author of “Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life ... and Maybe the World.”

“It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another.”

It’s true.  And each day is made up of tasks.  I often made the bed when we lived in the big house.  Since we moved here, I rarely make my bed.  I suppose I should be ashamed.  I really appreciate the orderliness of a just made bed.  That certainly feels better than that vague sense of guilt when you don’t make the bed.

I’ll think about it.  Think about doing it again, and I’ll let you know.     Do you make your bed every day?
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Great minds think alike.  Suggesting that I go to the store on my scooter.  He’s working hard too.
  • Myself:  There a couple of angled corners on the way to the store.  I thought I might fall over last time.
  • Photo:  Mine: 2013.
  • Reading:  E. Moon.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I finally found a bed picture different than the first one.



8 comments:

  1. I make the bed as soon as I get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry and I make the bed together unless one of us spends longer in the bed then it's that person's responsibility to make the bed. It's a big bed so it's nice to have two people doing the work. I like a tidy bed to get into at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours usually gets made during the morning- not as soon as the last one gets up because I like to roll back the covers and 'air the bed' before it's made. The room does seem to look better when it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my mother moved into the same house she asked me if I would be making my bed each morning. Back to that childhood bed making standoff! I responded I doubted it. And she said if I did not, she would. I contemplated the arrogance for a minute, and said to myself, Get over it, Joanne. Make the bed to please your Mother's eye. I'm not sorry. I've never made my grandchildren make their beds, I've simply felt bad for them they have no pleasure in a neat room and a well made bed. And I have mentioned that sadness to them, to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make mine as soon as I get out of it else after visiting the bathroom I would get right back in it. Sigh, it's my favorite hidey hole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make the bed. My life feels chaotic if I don’t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue goes to bed earlier and gets up later, so she makes the bed. However, when I have wandered to the guest bad on a bad night, I have always made the bed come morning. I couldn't stand not to. I might not do it very first thing as is the case with Sue, but I do it.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life