April 29, 2018

ROLLING RIGHT ALONG


2001: Mage in front of the Tate London.

“Used to’s” don’t matter if you are living in the now.  I’ve always walked distances every day.  And I should tell you that I loved walking the three miles to work at the Plunge in the ‘80’s.  I marched all over London and Paris, and I loved going from the bus and walking a mile to Petco Park when I worked there.  I’d always make an effort to walk all around the ball park once a game.  Not now.

We rented a scooter when we went to DC.  We also rented one for various conventions.  We usually rent an electric scooter for my use at Comic Con.  Most of the time I don’t need wheels, but for any distance now I do.  My spine is crumbling into itself, and while it does that it’s crusing a nerve.  One of my legs goes to sleep.  It doesn’t happen in the water, but it sure cuts my walking distances down on land. 

Yesterday I couldn’t walk too far.  Knowing today’s destination I knew I was in trouble.  Last time we were at a ball game, I barely made it from our seats to the car.  Today we are taking the walker.  It’s a nice dark red.  It’s wide, and I will take a big backpack with layers of clothes to peel on or off, a camera, and delight in being able to sit when I need a sit.

I’ll think of you all as I cheer on the team that kicked butt yesterday 2 to 12.  Amazing.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
  • Himself:  At work he won Padre’s seats.  Was gifted PF Chang’s gift coupons.  He still has a job.  Meeting tonight.
  • Herself:  Spent Friday shuffling books.  Brought ever more boxes of cookbooks in to shelve, and put the nautical and aviation books on sale. 
  • Reading:  Still amazed that our Presidents were so unhealthy.
  • Watching:  Last two episodes of NCIS with Abby.  What a loss.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I own a walker and can go to a Padre’s game.



9 comments:

  1. I admire you for keeping on keeping on the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that about covers the years of life, doesn't it. Keep on......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Mage! You get there is the important thing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me I understand. I love that you work it out and keep getting on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see a walker not that far off in my own future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I know about those "used to's". I try be grateful that I can adjust and continue. Cool that you can go to the ballpark and how cool was it that you once worked there. I LOVE baseball. Good luck today-- our teams are in about the same boat but both are trending upward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perseverance is the backbone of life. I'm sorry your spine is deteriorating. Being able to sit when you need to is a blessing. As your other friends have noted, I admire your spirit and your ability to keep on keeping on. Hope to see you in June!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please take good care of yourself, Mage. We have to be extra careful these days.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life