August 6, 2018

A VISIT TO BOBBIE



It was one of the best salads I have ever had.

Beloved George got me to the train a little early, and, after I parked my walker and suitcase in the luggage area, I was able to get a seat upstairs.  On the Surfliner, the good side to sit is on the left.  You can watch the water rolling by as the sun comes up over a cup of coffee. 

There were some big changes as we headed up the coast.  Only two buildings and about ten fences had graffiti.  I saw only one, single homeless encampment all the way up.  Little trash.  Tons of freshly painted buildings.  Simply amazing change in just a year.  The sky was blue, the sea was perfection, and I was able to get myself and my stuff off in Van Nuys with no problem.

We went shopping.  THE LAST BOOKSTORE was about as friendly as Powell’s in Portland.  The art and architecture room lady was.  I bought a book on the construction of LA Union Station.  We had lunch at a tiny salad shop, and I flat out loved that salad.  The Hipster they called it: arugula, chicken, apple,  bacon, walnuts and goat cheese, add avocado, ranch dressing, and chopped..

We went shopping.  G told me later that he knew we would do this.  Target, TJ Max, Nordie’s Rack, even Ross. We had a ball.  A nice pair of pants for me.  A delightful shirt and shoes for her.  A book for me, and colorful cards I could send to Dixie.  We laughed about it over another salad.  Yes, we had lots of fun.


The large sculpture outside the smaller MOCA in LA.

Saturday afternoon, we aimed ourselves toward several art museums.   I loved the giant sculpture outside in front of the museum.  I was amazed how easily they have adapted an older building for the handicapped in walkers or wheel chairs.  Little one story elevators scattered everywhere so every corner of the museum is open.  I was also much moved by the images in the exhibition Real worlds.  We skipped the Broad across the street as the temperature was high and the line was long.  Maybe she realized that I had walked long enough.


Geoff, Bobbies other half.

She was highly annoyed with me for accepting my inability to cavort freely.  I told her that there were always priorities, and getting the biopsy site ok, and getting my teeth fixed were my two priorities for the moment.


the outdoor dining room.  We sat out here Sunday Morning to have our coffee.

Bobbie has a magic touch with her homes.  Right now she has a truly magic touch with her paintings also.  Mixing some graphic touches and Japanese effects with the magic of expressionism, she now has entered a new world in her work.  Wonderful stuff indeed.  I’m so proud of her.

Coming home on the train was a bear.  The train to San Diego begins in Santa Barbara.  I rushed to get on only to find almost every seat taken.  I grabbed one car’s away from my luggage, and wasn’t a happy camper as I watched the hoards getting on.  The conductor kindly told me that those with white tags above their seats were getting off in LA.   Ah ha, I could be predatory.  After the last stop before LA was called, I walked up to the car I wanted and waited.  Laughing at myself, I finally got a seat on the good side right by the window.  They added another car, yet there was standing room only. 

Perfection too, was to see G waiting for me in the shade of the San Diego Santa Fe station. 
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:   He started later and was able to go to the gym first thing.
  • Myself:  G comments that we have been here 21 years.  I commented that this is the longest I have ever lived in one place all my life.
  • Reading:  The Librarian series which is a wow, and “The One and Only Ivan” by Katherine Applegate…Newberry Winner.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I saw some fine art, that I made it home with everything, and that I so enjoyed myself with a good friend.



10 comments:

  1. That outdoor dining room is just perfection. I could sit out there for days. Wouldn't need any shopping or museums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a perfect excursion with a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect trip and I ever calculate where I am going to sit. I just hunker down and endure. I can see our taste in art is very different as the first sculpture to me means chaos and anger and I do not like it at all. I am exhausted with the youngest grand all week and the middle grand coming next week. We also eat bad food (hot dogs, pizza, mac and cheese) when they are here and that salad is similar to something I order when we finally went out to eat one night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a brief but very good getaway for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a good thing for you to visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to go, better to come home yes???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely! It sure does sound like a very precious and wonderful day with Bobbie and even better to have George to come home to. It’s always fun to go shopping with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had that salad (or one similar) and it is marvelous. I've managed to recreate it at home. What a great trip you had and how clever of you to get a great seat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life