August 7, 2018

CONSTRUCTIONS



THE dining room table decorated for summer.

·     Gr-gr-great Grandma Ba’s dining table.  Here it is decorated for summer.  I had lots of fun roaming Bobbie’s house with a camera in hand.  Below you can see a bit of the High Victorian carved table feet.  Mother used to say that Grandmother Ba would wrap the feet in newspaper so they wouldn’t get scratched by mother and her brother, Uncle Charlie.     



·       Meeting to meet the new employee today.  Only she is an old one that we are fond of.  They have begun laying off employees.  Full timers are splitting jobs.  Part Timers and temps are gone.  Offices are gone.  Programs that didn’t make money are gone.  I poked at our big boss to write a letter of recommendation for our one dear lady who was let go.  No one is happy she is gone.  Great chaos in the meeting about this.


The Broad Museum.



The Frank Gehry Walt Disney Concert Hall.

·       I’m not fond of Frank Gehry’s architectural structures.  I need to learn to like the moderns, but my mind cannot seem to take in the chaos his work offers to the eye.  The Dorothy Chandler Pavilion Was replaced by this building, and tho I might hate the Look of it, it is praised for its acoustics.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Gym this morning.  Got an appointment with my bone doc for his knee.  Very exciting stuff.  G got a bonus of 2 baseball tickets for field seats as a bonus.
  • Myself:  Meeting with an old friend who relapsed.  Very sad about losing such a cheerful and positive person at work.  Remembered to thank Bobbie for the wonderful three days.  Sending one of the new colorful cards off to Dixie.
  • Reading:  The Librarian book 3.
  • Gratitude’s:  That we all are surviving the heat pretty well.  And it is very hot here.

11 comments:

  1. I always hated staff chsnges. Change is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly that dining room has not seen children. I now have a week of stepping on cheerios and chips under the table! He is a good boy but full of enjoyment of life. I do not mind that architecture so much...just do feel form should follow function or what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dining room table has seen five generations of kids plus it was badly damaged when my victorian home burned. They were able to save the top by turning it over.

      Delete
    2. Form follows function did not move beyond the box shape for so long that we were all bored. LOL

      Delete
  3. Chaos to the eye is a rather mild way of expressing the spatial disconnect that occurs when gazing upon such monstrosities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the restructuring of the power company where I worked. Resulting in a brown out on Thanksgiving. Lots of uncooked turkeys that year. Turns out they let go the people who knew where the keys were to keep things running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. baseball been belly belly good to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought those Victorian table feet could be obstacles, but they do lend stability to what they hold up. Must admit they certainly give character to items, but heavy to move. I love natural woods, grains, etc. Reminds me of furniture with much less ornate spoon feet — is that something French (?). As for Gehry, the external appearance of some of his creations do seem a bit excessive to me.

    Was sorry to note you mentioned having lost a home in a fire but this table salvaged. With the tables family history a.m. sure it must be treasured. Every time fires rage, as they are now, and homes are lost, expect you can empathize with homeowners in ways I can only imagine. Perhaps you’ve written here earlier about that unwanted experience, or chose to just let it alone. I regret that event happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you. No I haven't written about it. I try to live in the now, and the fire was a while ago.

      Delete

postcards

Celebration of Life