December 31, 2018

THE LAST BOOKS


The Last Books ...
I found this on “Letters from a Hill Farm.”

https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-last-books


1. The last book I gave up on
 A Man Called Ove…Given to me by G and recommended by Poolie.  I will finish it…I promise.

2. The last book I reread
 The trilogy; “The Harper Hall of Pern.”

3. The last book I bought
Two: one on submarines, another an illustrated volume on Ocean Liners, and “Becoming” by Mrs. Obama

4. The last book I said I read but I actually didn't
 That’s not something I would do.

5. The last book I wrote in the margins of
College architecture books. 

6. The last book I had signed
Something for George long, long ago.

7. The last book I lost
The actual book I lost was a library book, a science fiction tome I left on an airplane umpteen million years ago.  It took me forever to pay off that fine.

8. The last book I had to replace.
That Sci Fi book.

9. The last book I argued over
Why should I argue over a book.

10. The last book I couldn't find
Was an Elizabeth Cadell.  Some of her books are now available online…and I don’t’ have them.

And more:

11.  The last book I shelved.
The Harper Hall of Pern, and I shelve alphabetically.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
In the living room, the huge floor to ceiling bookcase has, from the top, Science Fiction, biographies, WWI and II books, and ocean liner books.  A couple of layers of those.  Near the bottom are the art and architecture books plus the radio and pastel carrier.

Catty corner from the big bookcase is grandma’s bookcase.  The top few shelves, and it now has 6 since mother cut it down, have cookbooks.  Intermingled are art supplies.

Over by the sliding door is a tall bookcase with the quilting, more art technique books, and an odds and end collection of things like several I Ching and poetry.  Even my paint brushes are in this bookcase.

Upstairs are three tall cases that match…mysteries are here.  They were John’s and Harriett’s office bookcases at SDSU.  In our office are mother’s two matching bookcases.  I have books on writing and language in the smaller of the two behind me.  Mostly both of them contain records of things plus office supplies.  Boring.

By the front door is one of my grandfather’s glass fronted bookcases.  My cousin Jerry remembers practicing her ballet moves in front of them.  There were three.  Mother sold one, and I gave one to Laka.  Now it holds George’s collection of model Chevy trucks and tow trucks.  Some of them are very interesting.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

12.  The last book I re-read. 
“The Harper Hall of Pern.  You bet I re-read.  There are years between some rereads, but eventually I get to most all my books a second or third time.  If it is fiction and I find it boring, I get rid of it.  If it is a quilting or art technique book and not useful, I get rid of that too.

13.  The last book brought home rule. 
Yes, if I bring one into the house, I have to take one out.  Sometimes I feel ugly and ruthless.

14.  What am I reading now:
I just started on Michele Obama’s memoir.  So far, very good.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL.

10 comments:

  1. It seems to be an appropriate time of year to think about books. I've been reading more again lately.

    Unworthy of note, but I'll note it anyway. I am from a geographical regions that says kitty corner. You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were so many books in the house when my girls were growing up, I turned the basement rec room into a library, with stacks and everything. I gave my daughter and her girlfriend the job of shelving everything, alphabetically. I found the Bible under G, for God.
    When she was in grad school, the oldest called, hysterical. She needed The Panda's Thumb, and every copy was out of every library on campus. But she remembered filing it in the basement, and would I please, please go look. So at midnight I drove to Cleveland to deliver the book.
    Kitty corner exists here, too. Everywhere. But then, I'm just south of John, other side of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been better about buying hardback and electronic books so that I am only three or four behind and cannot add something new. I do find I loo forward to a good mystery and find the books that a being promoted are pretty old fashioned and derivative and not remotely believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the new Louise Penny yet? You are going to enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. NO, but I will put that on my list. I did preorder "The Department of Sensitive Crimes" by the author of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency which I enjoyed reading.

      Delete
    3. I have one of those next to my bed now. Got the new JA Jance.

      Delete
  4. We've got 'kitty corner' here as well. I used to read books by the dozen but my eyes are giving out now...I sometimes read on my Kindle app because I can enlarge the print but I still go all fuzzy eyed after a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of a personal library was a must for me at one time. Then I moved and mercy are books heavy. Now I fear I carry my 400 to be read books in my small Kindle. Handy but doesn't have the comfort feel of a library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New to you Mage - and George also.

    It doesn't stop me reading on average about 60 books a year but these days books have to come from the local library or other free 'places'. I just can't afford to buy them plus finding room to house them is a problem as well. However tthere were days in years gone by when I overlooked any of those issues.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life