February 21, 2019

AN ADDRESS BOOK


A peaceful view of downtown from Shelter Island.
           
My computers have died so many times, that I keep much of my life on paper.  Every few years the addresses or phone numbers in my old address book need to be updated.  Yesterday, while making changes on my often rewritten pages, I found myself talking to the names.

“It’s nice to see you, but I don’t even talk with you on Facebook.  I shan’t keep you this time around.”  Or “who are you.”  I found that woman’s name in two different spots.  The family back east’s phone numbers are written very faintly on a dark purple post it.  That’s not very functional.  But I will keep Charlie’s number as his love of books overlaps all parts of my life.  I don’t need Ann’s address as I actually know where to go pick her up…or deliver here.  There are a few like that. 

Lots of phone number changes.  Folks get rid of their long held land lines and get a cell phone or discover that they are still using the 619 number when they are really in the 858 area. 

How old is my “C” page.  The names that hurt are for my friends who died.  Cindy, my dear friend Seedys, died years ago.  I still miss her.  I can see her so clearly.  Claudia died more recently, but I still see her occasionally on the street…just a turn of the head, the way she walked.  Dianne and I were sisters under our walkers.  Joan gone leaving her house to a brilliant poet.  My money man didn’t die, but he changed his address so often that his info takes up half a page.  Ditto Dixie because I kept getting her mailing address wrong.  Silly me.

Then there are the questions.  What happened to Cher?  We had many years of conversations, even a visit, and then she vanished.  Frankie.  He too vanished.  He was my support for so many ages, and one day all cards and letter ceased.  There’s “no one by that name here,” said a returned envelope.  Where is So Cal Frank.  He too vanished with the demise of Open Diary.  We had several visits here and there.  I hope he didn’t have a heart attack. 

I think JR died.  When we last saw him, he had a raging infection at a surgical site.  Also on the J page, Jim died, Joan, died, as did the other Joan.  Today I begin on the K page.  No deaths, and there is only one or two lost souls.  My memories churn. 
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
  • Himself:  At work till 1530…then it is off to the Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet band concert.  Sat in the chair to sleep again. Coughing much less today.
  • Myself:  Awoke at 0330 thinking.  Can take my scooter.  Yes, I can.  Finding warm clothes to wear to the concert.
  • Photo:  Mine.
  • Reading:  ”Spark Joy,”  the companion book to “ The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.”
  • Gratitude’s:  That many of us seem  to be on the same road.




8 comments:

  1. I did the same with an adress/ phone book last year. Sad in ways but good memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very, very good photo. You touched my heart with your phone book. I've been blogging going on ten years now. Perhaps one problem is we all started this as old goats, anyway. But going through my blog list is wrenching. Too many have died. Some may, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got an address book too, very old, personal back three homes for me many others. Some pages filling up wiht addys for my grandkids. Funny enough, my sons keep asking if I still have it. It's a relic of their childhood and they didn't either of them want it to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly identify with all the names that cease to be active in the address book. Have resorted to a Google search in a couple instances and discovered one friend had died last Oct. Earlier this week I received a nice note from one of her daughters who had come across my Christmas letter to her Mother, so I would have learned about her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have and have had many friends and acquaintances. My circle is very small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My circle used to be large, but it is shrinking rapidly. Unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. Sadly, our address books pose the same questions. "Where are they now if still on this earth?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every once in a while I go through the Rolodex that used to be such an integral part of my life. It's amazing how many phone numbers in there I no longer need.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life