October 6, 2020

WITH MARTINI IN HAND: 1


From American History si edu.  A General Electric Monitor top refrigerator from the 1930s in the museum's collection. The name comes from its resemblance to the 1860s warship, the USS Monitor. People saw a similarity between the fridge's exposed compressor and the ship's cylindrical gun turret.

 

               I only knew one of my grandmother’s that cooked.  I loved her dearly, but she vastly over-salted everything she cooked.  My engineer mother, who was generous with pepper but not salt, cooked every day with martinis and without enthusiasm.  Only years later did I guess she hated cooking preferring architectural constructions to food construction.  To compound her cooking failures, she was a product of “the great depression” years.

            When I asked my blog readers what their mother’s had cooked, many mom’s cooking also seemed to be a product of the depression.  Shop economically, and stretch everything as far as it could be stretched until it yelled.  Huffington Post tells us, “The nature of food memories, they aren’t just based on the facts, or our need for survival, but are shaped by the context ― the company, the situation and the emotions involved.”

            My grandma Maudie made a truly magic tuna salad.  As a child, I paid great attention to how she made this fabulous dish even down to the kind of plate she served it on.  Her Thanksgiving stuffing was the best ever too, but how did she get it to taste that good.  For years I tried to duplicate her flavors and failed.  One year the salt shaker slid out of my hand and the top twisted off dumping all the salt into the unfinished stuffing.  I tried hard to get that excess salt out of the dressing.  It didn’t work, so I threw up my hands and baked it as it was.  When the turkey came out of the oven and I tasted the stuffing, I had one of those emotional, a-ha food moments.  After all my years of struggle, it tasted just like Gramma’s.

The 1980 Thanksgiving salty turkey and stuffing backyard picnic.

Just prior to WWII, many of the giant department stores like SEARS or Montgomery Wards priced refrigerators within the budget of almost every household.  We could now safely store foods for longer periods, and we can use our leftovers rather than discard them.  In fact, these new electric refrigerators spawned a new industry of recipes and leftover containers such as the ones from Mr. Tupper.   

In the 1950’s, there were giant cold storage plants in many communities.  Thinking economy, many housewives bought sides of beef or lamb to feed their families.  My mother, thinking very small budget, bought a side of mutton.  We ate mutton endlessly that year, alternating with the chicken, duck, and rabbit she raised.  She never could kill these small animals, so had the housekeeper do the deed.  When they too were gone she never did that again.

We often had “stoop”…split pea soup.  We had slow cooked beef stew.  By the time I was a teenager stores carried those magical frozen dinners in their aluminum trays.  Often my mother and father ate out.  Often too we had a tossed green salad.  We lived with my grandfather.  He was a vegetarian most evenings eating whatever I put in front of him.  Most nights, a baked potato and a canned veggie made up his dinner.  Sometimes I ate what he did.  Sometimes I still do.

Continued:

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

<A HREF=http://geeeee-zer.blogspot.com/>Himself:  Gaming.  Helping me with my computer.

Myself:  Got a something that sc3rewed up my virus association.

Reading:  Mrs. Polifax and the China Station.

Photo:  Top:  American History Museum.

Gratitude’s:  That G’s going to restore me to default.

12 comments:

  1. For some reason, your text is riddled with special characters and numbers. No clue why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember our old fridge from the 1950s. It lasted forever!

    We never had the TV dinners or ate out. Mom always cooked.

    Your memories of your grandmother’s tuna salad and efforts to duplicate it made me smile. There is nothing like the taste of home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that old fridge because my 3 year old brother locked me in one by mistake. I was 6. We were playing outside. My mom found me which is a good thing. My brother just got tired of playing the game, I guess. I can remember the meals my mom used to make. I now make some of them for my kids and grandkids... especially corned beef hash patties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My great grandmother had that GE refrigerator. It's days ended near the turn of the current century, as my uncle's beverage refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come to think of it, I don't think either of my grandparents had fridges. I have a memory of an icebox in my grandfather's house where we lived for a time in the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was funny about dumping the saltshaker making the perfect dressing. The last 5 sentences ending with Gratitude appear to be in code. Another blogger gift?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother had a chicken coop in the back yard and my mom told stories of wacking off chicken heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My paternal grandmother raised chickens for their eggs and whenever we visited, she'd go out into the hen house and stand there in the center, looking at all of the chickens. Finally, she'd zero in on one and next thing you knew, she'd spun that chicken around and snapped its head off. She mad the absolute best fried chicken in the world. I've only ever had chicken that good one time and that was at Tom's Chicken Shack in Ramona(?). Do you remember Tom's Chicken Shack?? It had that huge rooster on top of the building. Gravy made with the drippings of the fried chicken... OMG!

      Delete
  8. my mother didn't cook as long as I can remember. we had a maid/cook. her two days off were Thursdays when we always went out to eat which put a crimp on my homework and study time when I had a test on Friday, and Sunday. my mother would cook Sundays unless she didn't feel like it and then we had what she called 'cold cuts' which was basically meat slices and cheese and bread and crackers. we could make a sandwich or just pick at it. later my parents and their best friends got into gourmet cooking and the 4 of them would totally trash the kitchen on Sunday nights and we kids had to clean it up. the only thing specific I remember about our dinners is that we never had chicken. my dad got tuberculosis during WWII and that's all they ever fed him the two years he was in the hospital and he swore he would never eat chicken again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about "cold c3uts." I loved them.

      Delete
  9. I remember that second photo -- a Thanksgiving dinner, if I remember correctly. Speaking of cold cuts, my parents used to buy bologne by the big unsliced chub--probably 5 lbs. because it was about a foot long and 5" around. It had a red waxed paper wrap that had to be removed before slicing. Oftentimes, my mother would get hurried and not peel the red wrapping off before making my father's lunch sandwiches. He'd bite into the sandwich and the whole slice of bologna would slide out. Messy... mad him furious. He always said she did it deliberately, out of spite. I had no clue, but it did push his buttons!

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life