September 25, 2017

AN ALDER


The Alder next to the house.

When we first moved here, this Alder tree had giant, beautiful leaves.  Within a few years, the leaf size began to shrink.  Two years ago, all the trees began dying. 

This condo complex was planted throughout with Alders with two or three kinds of simple flowering shrubs below them.  The shrubs keep going but the alders do not.  

We used to get very upset with this tree when it filled our patios and driveways with its leaves.  Now I mourn its loss in advance.  The plate size leaves are only tiny gestures now.  They will take it down over the winter as they did the giant out in front last year.

 Who knew I would mourn this messy old tree.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….        

  • Himself:  Doing his best with a giant queue and a talkative me.
  • Herself:  Found Grumpy’s battery drained.  A wire shorted perhaps as G was working in the dash.  Today groceries, laundry, and staring at that crow quilt center.  Is it too big?
  • Reading:  Ruth Reichl and I find I lived much like she did.
  • Captain Poolie:  Perky.  We found her talking with her sister yesterday.  No visit today.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I can do my Monday mountain of stuff even while I complain about it.


  • 7 comments:

    1. It is sad to lose a tree, even one which was not so admired in its day.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love those trees, messy and all. The west side of Washington state is covered with them. They provide cover for emerging evergreens too. The wood is great for BBQ-ing salmon.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I think alders are the ones that do so well in Europe and hubby says it is because they are resistant to pollution. We are also losing many of our trees, but probably due to age rather than anything else?

      ReplyDelete
    4. What lovely bark. Don't think I have seen one of those. So sorry you are losing them.

      ReplyDelete
    5. It's always sad to see a tree die...

      ReplyDelete

    postcards

    Celebration of Life