March 10, 2019

MUM AND PUP

           
I was amazed at how many mysteries that I was able to pull from the bedroom bookcases.  I thought I had gone through them a year or so ago.  There they are, two armfuls waiting in the hall to go downstairs.   When I carry them down and add them to the plastic boxes, they seem so much less.

On and off during the day, I reread Christopher Buckley’s tome “LOSING MUM AND PUP.”  Published by 12Books which strives to published 12 singular books a year.  I truly wish I could have articulated my feelings about both my father and mother’s death’s as clearly as Christo did.  I’m not getting rid of this book, as I find I am truly moved by it. 

Be ruthless says the Konmari projecct.  Get rid of everything.  Of all my gathered belongings I now have in my life I love my books.  They all give me joy, and it has been really hard to dig though these shelves to discard volumes that no longer apply, that are no longer used.  I have not really been ruthless, but I’ve given it a good go.

CD’s and DVD’s are next. 
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  He took lunch and has worked hard on his boxes all day.  Business meeting tonight.
  • Myself:  Still one shelf of Sci Fi to do…way up there next to the ceiling.
  • Photo:  Mine.
  • Reading:  Finishing “LOSING MUM AND PUP.”
  • Gratitude’s:  That I had one book to read as I discarded others.



8 comments:

  1. Saying goodbye to things we own and love is harder for those of us who realize we will not be filling these spaces with much new stuff. WE think our things are what make us, but they are not. You do have lots of books, far more than me! I have gone through years of getting rid of books each time I moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos are where I have trouble being ruthless. Books I figure can be replaced, but not the photos once they are tossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh darn! I wrote something and noticed a misspelling so I deleted it after copying it first. However, my copying didn’t work. Double darn. Anyway, I was just saying not to be too ruthless in your getting rid of stuff, because there could be regret later. If you like it, you should keep it. I’m working on preserving memories on my computer now and getting rid of some DVD and CDs. It’s going to take me a long time to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are certainly dedicated to this task, which I would find very enervating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are making great progress, Mage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As hard as it is to purge, think how happy someone down the line will be to turn those pages for the first time.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life