August 9, 2019

SQUEEZING ME IN

Mother and Gunny on their wedding day, 1939.
                                                
I now have a surgeon.  I often wonder how mother felt about her cancer, her surgeon, and the decisions they made in 1948.  She had stage four colon cancer that first time with  an experimental colostomy.  They didn’t tell her that cancer always comes back.  Later she had breast cancer…both sides, thyroid cancer, cancer in her mouth, and of course, skin cancer.  The man she is getting married to in that picture died of cancer…he always had a pipe in his mouth.

I still have to have an MRI of my head to make sure the cancer didn’t’ spread to my brain.  They didn’t have MRI’s when either of my parents were struggling with their cancers.  They had radiation and they had chemo, but no one used them on my parents. 

I haven’t got acres of happy cancer stories to tell you.  I plan on being a story with a happy ending tho.  Stage 2 all in one lobe, the slow growing kind, is curable.  Watch me.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Came with me yesterday, and will tomorrow.  A very kind man.
  • Myself:  Not enjoying the two holes in my left side chest.  GP got me in yesterday.  Pulmonary man got me in yesterday.  Surgeon got me in at 7 tomorrow.
  • Photo:  I do not know who took this one.
  • Reading:  E. Moon: Marque and Reprisal.”
  • Gratitude’s:  Lots, everywhere.



12 comments:

  1. Many good improvements on treating cancer these days. Attitude is such a big part of it. I have no doubt you can win this battle. I'm sending good thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it. We're all pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s the attitude, Mage. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of COURSE your story will have a happy ending. I wouldn't expect any less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From across this continent, I am cheering for the butt kicking. Yay you and Yay for George.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stage two is defeatable. Again, there are so many tools today in medicine that they can fight with. Keep that strong attitude and let the docs do their magic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... and I thought Cancer ran in my family like a Bull Elephant! All kinds of hoorays for the good things in your life -- very grateful that it's only stage 2 and a slow growing cancer. Yes, you will beat this. Hugs and much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They never used the word curable in the same sentence as cancer back then. These are different times. Stay optimistic and healthy. Eat well and keep busy and be patient. (says mother) Both your parents look like they are much older than newlyweds. Was this a second marriage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were not the usual age for newlyweds. Mother was 6 years older than Gunny, and this was her second marriage.

      Delete
  9. For some reason my comment did not post. Oh well, you know that I have good energies for your movement toward a clean bill of health.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life