April 1, 2022

GIMPA'S MORRIS CHAIR


We have two Morris Chairs.  Actually.  Since we have so much furniture and so little room, we lent the Morris rocker to Margot.  That leaves us with Gimpa’s chair.  When I was growing up, it lived in a corner of Gimpa’s bedroom.  When mother moved out of number 20, I inherited the chair.  It’s two, tired blue velvet cushions cradled me through many college years as they did my grandfather. 

Yesterday in my continual mindless state, I wandered into an essay on William Morris https://cheznamastenancy.blogspot.com/2022/03/william-morris-arts-crafts.html on Chez Namaste Nancy’s blog.  First I read her page then wandered to a link that caught my eye.  This  probably happens to you too, The Red House https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/red-house

Only after an afternoon of puttering through the William Morris sites did I become aware that Gimpa’s chair wasn’t a true representative of the “Arts and Crafts” Movement that Morris began.  A true chair of this period would have solid slats to hold up the arms.  A simple construction.  The legs would have been straight, and the cushions leather.  In America, the Stickley family made the best examples of the Arts and Crafts chair.


Family stories say that this chair was bought to go to college with Gimpa.  It comes apart into a flat package suitable for shipping.  

It's not at all an authentic Arts and Crafts chair.  Gimpa’s chair has turned supports for the arms.  The legs have an almost Queen Anne curve with small feet at the floor.  The straight arms have been replaced by wood that’s been carved to a comfortable place to rest your arm.   The only part that’s left to say was William Morris influenced was the adjustable back.  Curved slots have been cut in the back of the arms, and a brass rod stops the back from moving.

I like the Arts and Crafts Movement.  I liked it even more when I inherited a large box of William Morris fabrics.  Someone bought yards of these delightful prints and didn’t use them.  I did.  I must admit that it took me two years to cut and sew all the blocks, but eventually I got it done.  Perhaps yellow wasn’t the best of accent colors, but it’s a warm quilt.



 

  

9 comments:

  1. Lots of history with that chair. It’s pretty special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that term Morris Chair for years but had no idea what it was. Thanks. I think your Gimpa's chair is much more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scored two of that type chair for my daughter. She uses them on her front porch in summer.
    I love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ignorance is profound, but maybe I know a little more now — about Morris chairs anyway. I have probably=y seen them and not known about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the look of your Gimpa’s chair. It’s so cool that it can be packed flat. Your quilt is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my grandfather's Morris chair too and mine is very similar to yours as far as I can tell from the picture...the metal rod, the spindles, the shape of the arms. The legs are a little different and mine has a carved design on the piece that goes across the front. It originally had horsehair cushions but my mother got rid of them and had new ones made with foam. I wish I still had the old horsehair cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front piece on mine has an oval plus a few squiggles. I'm sure it also had horsehair. Boy that stuff itched.

      Delete
  7. I remember hearing about "Morris chairs" when I was a kid and not really understanding what that meant. So thanks for clearing that up for me! There's a William Morris museum here in London. I still haven't been.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life