June 15, 2022

IT'S HARD


It’s really hard for me to get started quilting again.   I seem to want to nap or read instead of quilting or even drawing.  I used to wonder why my very talented mother and grandmother stopped their artwork when they reached their eighties.  And they did. 

Once mother started taking cruises in her seventies, she did make colorful sketches.  They weren’t very good sketches.  Grandma did draw a bit but only if she got a commission.  Grandma couldn’t afford to buy more pasteles when hers got to be just nubs.  She saved them in small glass tubes.  Perhaps that’s why I saved my many boxes of those colorful chalk sticks.


The top quilt is one of the first I did for Alex.  The  bottom is one for George.  

8 comments:

  1. What a nice post . Thanks for your sharing !
    If you want to know about wigs, please feel free to check my blog~
    straight wigs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little things seem to become bigger things as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing wrong with napping and reading. I say do what brings you pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And George LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use a nap right now. You are such a talented quilter Mage. Haven't been able to visit people because my daughter and family are here. We're trying to make the most of each minute since we haven't seen them in almost 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilts are beautiful, so pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went almost two years this last time without doing any art except for a colored pencil drawing or two. The time before that it was almost three years. so maybe you aren't done, just resting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like these quilt patterns. Mom used geometric patterns for the unique rugs she made when her vision limited what she could do. I was always amazed she could create and complete those. Quilts she used to be able to do make were the basis of her adaptation to rugs.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life