September 16, 2017

KHAKI PANTS




1991: 50th Birthday with Bobbie.  Me wearing khaki pants.

This last Sunday I wore my Jones of New York khaki’s to the Speaker’s meeting.  I knew they were tight and the fabric tired.  Jones always picks odd fabrics, and this pair must have been an early example of stretch fabric.  Yes, they still stretched to fit my now far larger middle, but by the time we got home the zipper seam had ripped out.  Oh misery.

Several days later I mended them and put them in the wash.  They will go to the Rachael’s Center for homeless women.  Someone far thinner than I will get more use out of them.

I immediately I began a determined search for a new pair of khakis.  As you can see in the 91 photo, I’ve been wearing “they-go-with-everything-khaki’s” for years.  There were none at several Ross Dress for Less stores.  They had them in 13, 14, 16, and 18.  None in 20 or 22.  Ditto Marshalls.  Ditto Tarjay.  One in my store, but it was an 18.  There is just enough difference between an 18 and 20 to make fit impossible.

One shop a day for each day this week.  Finally last night after a visit with Poolie…who stayed up for 8 hours, We did what I thought would be a quick stop at JCPennays.  He found me a pair then told me he needed a khaki and grey pair too.  He shops with more resolve than I checking out everything.  I found him a pair of each color like lightening, and we were out of there far poorer in the pocket rapidly.  “That will have to do,” Duck used to say.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….        

  • Himself:  A lazy morning with “Game of Thrones, haircuts, and breakfast out before work.  Take out dinner with Poolie.
  • Herself:  Ditto minus the “Game of Thrones.”  Came home and tried on ALL my pants.  Learned that several people I knew well at the towing company have died, and one is out there on downers.  They were all so young.
  • Poolie  If she can stay up for 10 hours, she will qualify to enter a special study.
  • Reading:  The last of a Cadell trilogy.
  • Gratitude’s:  That we found a pair of khaki pants.

7 comments:

  1. I found some good stretch jeans in one of the store for this last trip and I was so glad. Not sure what the downers is, but too many goodbye this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not easy to get the right clothes as we get older. We have our preferences now and don't follow trends. It can require lots of shopping. I had a hard time finding cotton blouses this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh do tell about waistlines and pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Poolie is close to the 10 hours and hope she makes it soon. Nice of you to repair and recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the pants find. I am desperate for pants, especially khaki. Glad to hear you struck gold. My mid-section seems to have been assembled by Frankenstein. And I never really had a waist even when young and skinny. Spending too much $ returning catalog things so must strike out for the big city to hands-on shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what's left of my middle is wierd and my hips wide. I too must try things on to make sure they fit. I'd love to shop out of a catalogue but can't find a fit.

      Delete

postcards

Celebration of Life