October 10, 2017

THE POOL IS CLOSED



That’s me in 1983…a little off center in the red suit. 

I confess that I faked it well enough a few years earlier, and I got a job helping with the Assisted Swim Program at Mesa College.  They had one class at the Plunge, above, and that made it easy.  I didn’t even have to change suits.  But underneath the red suit I was a fake.

I never was into any form of sports.  Probably it was because I couldn’t see anything without my glasses.  Even with glasses I couldn’t throw or catch a ball.  I wasn’t very good on a golf course either.  That was my family’s passion, golf.  Just as importantly, I wasn’t a success in the pool until I discovered synchronized swimming.  Amazingly, I could do that.

Over the years, I have broadened.  Not my horizons, but me.  I don’t teach swimming now, but I still keep my nasal passages out of the chlorinated water.  I can walk in the water but not well on land.  Sluggish and lazy be me indeed.  I’d rather be reading a book any old day.

This morning I almost cheered when the check in lady told me the pool was closed because of a chlorine leak.  I almost raced to the car, raced to my breakfast, and when I am done here, I will race to the well written book just waiting for me.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….        

  • Himself:  Yesterday, got a shot for his torn meniscus, got an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon, seems accepting at last.
  • Herself:  I have to dust the books in back of the bed…..the cough, achoo, and repeat will end.
  • Reading:  Amberwell.  Very touching.
  • Captain Poolie:  Getting ready for a picnic lunch with her sister.
  • Gratitude’s:  For friends that are ok in the fires.


9 comments:

  1. I would feel the same about that reprieve, Mage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something worth hurrying for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all that racing around makes me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we all need a break from our routine and so glad yours was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always consider such misfortunes as a closed pool to be opportunities placed in my path by my Guardian Angel. Hoping G gets an early appt. for fixing his knee. Will it have to be replaced? Or will they be able to clean out the joint and give him a reprieve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When he fell, he tore his meniscus. They will just stitch him back together. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks. That's what I was trying for.

      Delete
  7. You're too funny, Mage. Actually, I can't even swim. You're way ahead of me. Luckily, I married an athlete so the kids had a better role model.

    ReplyDelete

Please, take just a moment to leave me a note. I really appreciate notes.

DYNAMICS

Out in the backcountry, under a hot summer sun, we were watching sports with family.  One year Alex played Football.  Perhaps this...