April 7, 2018

COLLECTIONS




I must say that I am very grateful for the donations of the last two book collections to our Discovery Shop.  The nautical books now have over powered their little bookcase.  At least I have all ours out now.  Two boxes of the higher priced volumes now go north to go online.

At the start of the week another collection arrived, this time of Aeronautical books.  I cleared one book area for these and rushed to price the less valuable volumes.  I took two boxes home to price….and up two flights of stairs.  Yes, George is a dear.  No, the books didn’t fill their shelves.

There were volumes in the 200 to 300 dollar range for the nautical books.  One on Dry Docks at 11,000.00, yes.  This latest batch wasn't worth a fraction, but there were still some fascinating books.  I bought one.

I can’t thank my friend Katy enough for her book searching lessons.  She turned me on to ABE Books.  From there I discovered more search engines landing finally on Bookfinder.com.  They search all the book sites for you.  It did well with the ship books  finding all but four on the various search engines.  Bookfinder, and all the others, were a failure when it came to planes.

Life is never boring when you volunteer. 
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
  • Himself:  Work slowed down over the week, still he looked tired by last night.
  • Herself:  Slept like a rock.  Did pretty well hauling wagon loads of books.  Bending over straight works, bending over in a curve doesn’t work.  Later today, I am going to switch these few books into the smaller bookcase and bring the ship books over here.
  • Reading:  Mrs. Polifax on Safari.
  • Watching:  Longmire who won his case in this latest episode.  Longmire TV is so much darker than the books.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I reintroduced dairy and it is working.


8 comments:

  1. You've been given some great collections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be in big trouble with all the bending, straight or round. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't bend, so most of what I do is done sitting. :)

      Delete
  3. You have lots of energy Mage. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to be able to bend when moving through garden beds and then getting down on the garden stool when needed. I cannot stand in one place and bend for any length of time, so no surprise at your agony. Bookfinder helps you determine costs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookfinder finds the books, and it gets you to the sites that have copies. The sites price them. I usually pick a third of a middle price. They seem to be selling now on ebay, and the ones here are a mess every time I come in. :)

      Delete
  5. You definitely have the book pricing "covered".

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life