April 5, 2018

FADED


There is something about my voice
that no one around me can hear
the commands
that save lives, those orders
now known only to me
sway their way into the cosmos
unheard as they fade away.

In the background, real life
appears, dozing, reading,
deaf to my cheery perking,
silent to my reality…
it’s that way now.

Perhaps I have coughed to much
or spoke too strongly
into uncaring ears
smoked too much for
too many years
yelled too much at my children
this too will take my voice away
but not my opinions.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
  • Himself:  Really enjoyed dinner with his Friend John and his wife.  John doesn’t remember much of what G has told him in the past.  Wife knows but says nothing. 
  • Herself:  I knew John had dementia, but hadn’t known how bad it had gotten.  I’m really touched by the whole thing.
  • Reading:  Volume three in the Mrs. Polifax series.  Light and humorous adventure.
  • Watching:  National G’s “One Strange Rock.”  Very touched by this and recommend it highly.
  • Gratitude’s:  For the new books, for the company at dinner last night, and for the illuminating show on NG.


6 comments:

  1. Great poem. Love the line, “this too...not my opinions.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to watch someone wasting away with dementia....losing who you are, who they are.....so very very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now I need to search for ONe Strange Rock...does NG stand for National Geographic? Both hubby and I are losing items and memories...he more than I...but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, National Geographic. Very well done work.
    George has only lost one knee. Me, I forget everything all the time, then something happens and I see things clearly. It always surprises me when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great bit of poetry. Well done and the photo matches beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo is amazing. The tiredness of age eclipsed by the eagerness of youth. And I can relate to the poem.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life