September 27, 2018

WORKING WITH THE BOOKS

           
Our shop, the American Cancer Society Discovery Shop here, is getting painted.  It’s going from dramatic browns and gold accent walls to grey on grey.  If you think painting a home is difficult, you should try a thrift shop.  Here there is something in every corner, and everything has to be moved to the center of the shop then moved back again.

There’s a short wall behind some of my many tall book cases.  Around the corner, there is a full sized wall behind four half bookcases.  When I heard that these walls were getting painted, I sent off a quick email, “The tall bookcase in the middle is coming apart.  If you move it, the bookcase will fall all apart.”  I could just envision the horror of that.

When I came in to work yesterday, the walls were grey.  Seemingly a dark grey.  They had moved all the bookcases out, painted, and moved them back.  Sure enough, the one book case had come all apart at the bottom.  What was worse was they had unplugged all my power strips and extension cords.  The bookcases now sat in a pool of darkness as the ceiling lights in that area are out.

After making a total mess of things while searching for the wall plug.  I tipped over one partially filled bookcase on top of me to look behind it; we found the plug.  We found the power strip by the use of a flashlight.  I laid on the floor and got everything plugged in again….and managed to get up too.  Oh, the adventure of it all.

What can I say.  I reshelved books, I pulled yellow books to discard to the SD Library, I dusted, I moved big bins of books….and I gratefully had Barbara to help.  Oh heaven.  The floor was empty when the lady from the Friends of the Library arrived to take the books away.  It’s the last time she would pick up books from us.  She doesn’t have enough volunteers to work with the books.  (She asked me to come work for her.)  China will no long accept recycled books or paper.  Friends of the Library can sell them to EDCO, but that would wipe out any profit from their bookstore. 

We will find new places to send our books.  I am very sorry that our main library can’t take our donations any longer.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Had to get dressed up and go to the Carlsbad office to work today.  His computer has been skipping and freezing.  The Cox man said it was probably the amp downstairs, the uncovered plug  both in the cupboard in the driveway.  Our speed is 172 which is very good.
  • Myself:  It’s been a Waiting for Godot morning.  He got here just before 10.  Now sorting, discarding, and sewing.  Just a little of Crowing every day will keep me balanced.
  • Reading:  Volume 3:  Getting a little livelier.
  • Gratitude’s:  If Cox fixed G’s computer, all will be well.



9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so identify with getting a bit of sewing done each day. I procrastinated on the latest Depot quilt until I saw that one (that HAD to have been my orignal work) and decided I would get this one finished and out the door and just move on. Had wanted to get it completed before heading to TX but it wasn't to be. Cie la Vie. Hugs to you... and admiration that you can get down and back up again!! I can, but it takes some real effort! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, internet is mighty quick now. No sudden disconnects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got pains just reading this. The getting up would have been a great accomplishment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that the painters left such a mess, but I am sure they did not even think about it. I am glad you have a new story though and that you had help and that you did not sprain or pull something crawling around on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! I can just imagine what a pain that was for you. I wonder if our library is still accepting donations. Everybody I know are reading Kindles these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don’t envy the gymnastics you had to perform.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life