October 10, 2021

LISTENING

 


Listening is all important.  No one asked me what I was going to do today, but I can be found at the sewing machine.  I’d tell you that if you asked.  Most days I manage an hour or so there.  I confess, endlessly sewing leaves is very boring.  Even freehand it is a very boring thing.  And physically it is hard work dragging the beyond king sized quilt through the small throat of the machine.  If I had no end date on my life, I would go get a long arm machine. 

I did ask George what he was planning to do today.  “Bake bread,” he replied.  “Order groceries, get gas at Costco, do a load of laundry, and go play in space,” he told me smiling.  I smiled back. 

Keeping up with other lives, Bobbie is in New York City opening a new show.  “Very successful,” she tells me.  Daughter Margot got a promotion which makes her full time with bennies, and Granddaughter Zoe got mostly A’s with one B this latest report card.  Sometimes I think the spoken word passes right over my head.  Often these days, I can’t even find the word I want.  Then I wake and I understood what is happening and find the lost word too.  I’m somewhat reassured that some of the things happening around me are getting through.

  • <A HREF=http://geeeee-zer.blogspot.com/>Himself:</A>  CBS Sunday morning and all of the above.
  • Myself:  Scribbling and sewing.
  • Reading:  Henderson’s People.  The Clinton/Penny book is out on Tuesday.
  • Watching:  CNN’s the Windsor’s, and To Catch a Smuggler.
  • Photo:  Mine.  2009.  Roberta and Marion.
  • Weather:  Cold but sunny.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I have the strength to pull that quilt through my machine.

11 comments:

  1. I find that words escape me more often now but they do eventually come back. maybe because at this age I have so many words up there that it takes longer to rifle through them to find the right one. or I'll think of the word I want when away from what I'm writing but when I get back to the writing, it's lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lost words do come back when we quit trying to dig them out.
    Looking forward to the Clinton/Penny book. I am 38th on 4 books at the library for the Kindle version. Might be a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photograph. And I am glad that you have the strength to pull that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful photo, Mage. And yes, word retrieval is often hard for me these days. So frustrating! George sure keeps really busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewing all those leaves makes you a branch manager!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all may suffer word retrieval by this age. Glad you and George keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do so miss that woman (Marion)!!! And our brown bag lunches where we solved all the world's problems. Hugs and thanks for the photo. You know I knew her husband long before he passed... I worked with him on the San Diego Stadium project! Memories for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are you doing tomorrow, or is that too far ahead to think about? I’m listening! Oh, those pesky words that escape us, usually to unexpectedly pop back in later. Can I assume you’ve searched word-finding techniques and tried to see what differing techniques may work best for you, or not? We lost words when we were much younger but probably joked about it. Now that we’re older, it does seem to happen more frequently. and some medical issues can cause it, too, but not stressing, straining when we lose a word, name, or idea is probably best, as is keeping a sense of humor about it. I’m now having to “practice what I preached” for myself in my ripe old age. I should know what to do — easier said than done consistently — since word-finding issues were sometimes part of the rehab Speech Therapy I provided some of my patients. Once we know what to do, we just do it! Right? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Words. Nouns. Too often. They always resurface but too late after I have looked like a blithering idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life